Gaitors?

3:54 p.m. on June 6, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Why don't manufactures of witer pants put in a internal gaitor like the ones in ski pants? I wear ski pants when winter hiking and snowshoing and it is so much easier than putting on gaitors and this allows you acess to your laces so you can adjust them a mile in to your trek. I never have aproblem with snow pentrating them even inthe spring with deep wet snow or any other conditions. I would like a nice pair of mountaineering pants put none, that I have seen, have the internal gaitors.

You can put a couple grommets in the rubber/elastic band at the bottom so you can strap them down but it doesn't seem necesary.

6:21 p.m. on June 6, 2001 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,363 forum posts
built-in gaitors

Answer is, they do. You generally find them on many of the climbing and backcountry skiing overpants and bibs. For example, my Marmot Alpinist (wornout) and Alpinist 3 bibs both have them, and the Marmot Guide Pant also has them. TNF, Arcteryx, and a number of others have versions with them as well. I also have a "fancy label" powder suit that has them (won't admit in this forum to the brand name, but I got them for $45 on closeout, list $550, and yes more "fashion house" than even TNF).

However, there are many circumstances where the builtin gaitors are superfluous or even a nuisance. For BC skiing (tele or, shudder, the Dark Side, randonee), add-on gaitors give a bit more protection and don't get cut up by the edges as much on the steep stuff. For climbing with crampons, add-on gaitors fit closer and are less likely to catch a crampon point (having done that a couple times myself). Also, in hot weather (meaning above 0F in the conditions where you would use them), add-ons give more flexibility for venting when you leave the sides of the overpants unzipped. I know a number of people who have just cut the integral gaitors out, and have been tempted to do so a couple times myself.

6:50 p.m. on June 6, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

I would like a nice pair of mountaineering pants put none, that I have seen, have the internal gaitors.

Try:
http://www.integraldesigns.com/customclothing-frame.htm

I had a pair of their bibs made up custom and can't rave enough about them.

If you choose, they can add gaiters no prob.
Cheers,
Christian :?)

7:26 p.m. on June 10, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

I like using a separate gaiter to act as a sacricial piece so the lower cost gaiters get shredded instead of the big $$$$ pants.

November 28, 2014
Quick Reply