anyone still use fleece?

1:15 p.m. on June 3, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

hi -

i am in the process of upgading som eof my gear and was wondering about my fleece. i enjoy my expe. weight cap fleece pullover and will not be getting rid of it. some of my heavier fleece however, like polartec 300 -- well do people still use these?

I've read so much about how much lighter AND more compressible (both important) primaloft/other synths are and that theyre just as warm. So are people replacing their fleeces with light synth tops? I would assume the synth wouldnt breathe near as well so are you just replacing fleece vests with synth vests and keeping the heavy fleece tops?

fleece is so heavy and SO UNCOMPRESSIBLE i want to know if there are any positives to keeping it (and complementary negatives to moving to synth).

thank for your advice
j

8:01 p.m. on June 3, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Chris Reid, Cnris

This winter I bought both a primaloft jacket and a 300 wt fleece. The primaloft is warmer and a bit more compressible. I found them useful for very different situations however. I would probally avoid hiking in the primaloft because of the amount of heat retention. Even with pitzips it just reaches a point were I'd rather be a little chilly with the fleece )while standing still) then two hot with the primaloft once I start moving. When I'm moving with the fleece I get hot two but it cools down quicker. I have found that for sking and winter backpacking I'll wear the fleece. But when I wake up in the morning the primaloft always gets put on first. For duriabilty fleece pills but I also melted a bit of my jacket when reaching around a lantern (very thin nylon) ripstop worked though. Hope this helps.

1:21 p.m. on July 20, 2001 (EDT)

Polyester fleece will never die. There are more compressable versions available now. I use fleece for three seasons and a synthetic lofting material (qualofill jacket still going strong) cos I sweat like crazy in down.

Quote:

hi -

i am in the process of upgading som eof my gear and was wondering about my fleece. i enjoy my expe. weight cap fleece pullover and will not be getting rid of it. some of my heavier fleece however, like polartec 300 -- well do people still use these?

I've read so much about how much lighter AND more compressible (both important) primaloft/other synths are and that theyre just as warm. So are people replacing their fleeces with light synth tops? I would assume the synth wouldnt breathe near as well so are you just replacing fleece vests with synth vests and keeping the heavy fleece tops?

fleece is so heavy and SO UNCOMPRESSIBLE i want to know if there are any positives to keeping it (and complementary negatives to moving to synth).

thank for your advice
j

August 21, 2014
Quick Reply