Rope middle marking

5:12 p.m. on December 1, 2011 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,612 reviewer rep
1,248 forum posts

If you are cheap like me you probably don't buy ropes with middle marks or those ropes with different paterns half way. 

Its a dilema. Sharpies and other markers might have halogens in them which can weaken climbing rope.  We climbers like taking risk but a marker eating my rope isnt one of them.  Beal rope marker is available but its over $10 a bottle.

I found one marker, called the Sharpie TEC which is certified halogen free.  They go for about $8 a box, which should last you a lifetime.  Sell a few of the extras to climbing buddies for $2 each and its practically free.

Ok realistically, plain old sharpies and most other markers probably won't harm your rope. Lots of climbers use them. I am diggin the Sharpie TEC though b/c it also won't damage goretex or other spendy hi-tech fabrics. 

Any one else use this pen? 

5:44 p.m. on December 1, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

tape it.

7:00 p.m. on December 1, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

FromSagetoSnow said:

If you are cheap like me you probably don't buy ropes with middle marks or those ropes with different paterns half way. 

Its a dilema. Sharpies and other markers might have halogens in them which can weaken climbing rope.  We climbers like taking risk but a marker eating my rope isnt one of them.  Beal rope marker is available but its over $10 a bottle.

I found one marker, called the Sharpie TEC which is certified halogen free.  They go for about $8 a box, which should last you a lifetime.  Sell a few of the extras to climbing buddies for $2 each and its practically free.

Ok realistically, plain old sharpies and most other markers probably won't harm your rope. Lots of climbers use them. I am diggin the Sharpie TEC though b/c it also won't damage goretex or other spendy hi-tech fabrics. 

Any one else use this pen? 

I am cheap I like the marker your telling us about. Way cool!

12:05 a.m. on December 2, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

The timing of this post is quite funny- I have to mark the middle on a couple ropes, which are currently splayed all over my living room drying out from a short canyoneering outing last weekend :)

8:54 a.m. on December 2, 2011 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Beal makes a special rope center/end roller marker as well, however, they only endorse it on THEIR rope.

9:33 a.m. on December 2, 2011 (EST)
3,612 reviewer rep
1,248 forum posts

The Beal rope marker also makes a stiff spot in the rope.

11:23 a.m. on December 2, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Hey Sage, do you have multiple of those TEC markers? I would like to buy one from you if you have some available to purchase :)

11:29 a.m. on December 2, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Hmmm, actually, after thinking about it a bit, after shipping cost, I would probably be better just going for the whole box. Sorry to ask and then renig. 

4:33 p.m. on December 2, 2011 (EST)
3,612 reviewer rep
1,248 forum posts

Its okay. I considered offering some for sale. Like you said, shipping a $2 marker for $1.75 isn't good economics.  I have been trading them to local guys for stuff. I think they make good barter.

5:23 p.m. on December 2, 2011 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Ask the clerk at the gear shop you puirchased the rope from to use their marker.

Ed

9:20 p.m. on December 2, 2011 (EST)
2,430 reviewer rep
5,314 forum posts

Bluewater has a rope marker for a lot less than the Beal. I suspect it is the same as the Sharpie TEC. However, I decided a while back that it was worth it to spring for the extra bucks for a bicolor rope, since there has still been some suspicion that even the markers made especially to be middle markers may reduce the rope strength somewhat. One other alternative is to weave a contrasting color thread through the mantle at the middle point. You can do this with a thin sewing needle to carefully weave through the picks of the mantle.

The other way is the old school method of just learning to observe your rope and eyeball the length. You get good at it pretty quickly. It doesn't do much good, though, when the person on the sharp end yells back, "Whaddaya mean, 10 feet left? The belay is 20 feet further! Start climbing!" BTDT more than once.

10:45 p.m. on December 2, 2011 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

You could always do the old end-whip in the middle of the coil using dental floss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2HFjSW37a8

11:19 p.m. on December 2, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

I've always just taped mine.  Lasts a long time and the cost is about as nothing as you can get.

1:29 p.m. on December 11, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

giftogab said:

tape it.

Tape slides when either of and all,

- the rope gets wet

- the rope gets tensioned

- the tape gets worn

- the tape goes through a loaded point, e.g. carbiner

Taping for a mark is not (generally) a good idea.

1:30 p.m. on December 11, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

FromSagetoSnow said:

The Beal rope marker also makes a stiff spot in the rope.

Some marine use marker paints do the same thing,

e.g. Maxi-Jacket or SamThane

A hard spot does cause concern.

1:33 p.m. on December 11, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

f_klock said:

You could always do the old end-whip in the middle of the coil using dental floss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2HFjSW37a8

This is a good option and one I sometimes use.

Make sure to stitch only through the cover so as it may move if need on the core.  Stitching all the way through can cause a bump and a hard spot.

1:36 p.m. on December 11, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

I have for a long time used the Sharpie Marker from the Stationery shop.

The marker wears/fades/washes away and the rope usually wears out before I would ever consider the Marker Pen Fluid damaging the rope.

In my opinion, measly less than 2cents worth, if the line you are using is that close to you weight then your safety limit on the lines ability is tooooo close.

8:03 p.m. on December 11, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Callahan said:

giftogab said:

tape it.

Tape slides when either of and all,

- the rope gets wet

- the rope gets tensioned

- the tape gets worn

- the tape goes through a loaded point, e.g. carbiner

Taping for a mark is not (generally) a good idea.

OK....GLAD I GOT A ROPE THAT IS DIFFERENT ONE HALF TO THE OTHER. I TAKE BACK MY WEAK SUGGESTION. :)

10:25 p.m. on December 11, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

NOt weak at all.  A lot of people does this and if possible learn before fail.

4:02 p.m. on December 12, 2011 (EST)
51 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

This is a heavily debated topic on other sites.

In my experience with marking the middle of my rope, I would recommend weaving a couple pieces of dental floss through the outer sheath of the rope with a needle just leaving a few 0.5" tips sticking out of the rope. I did this to my rope recently and it has been the most reliable option so far.

Dental floss has an interesting way of slipping through my belay device no problem and staying on my rope. The whipping technique looked cool too, but I worry about how long it would last without being woven through the outer sheath.

12:39 p.m. on December 13, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Raiders99999 said:

This is a heavily debated topic on other sites.

In my experience with marking the middle of my rope, I would recommend weaving a couple pieces of dental floss through the outer sheath of the rope with a needle just leaving a few 0.5" tips sticking out of the rope. I did this to my rope recently and it has been the most reliable option so far.

Dental floss has an interesting way of slipping through my belay device no problem and staying on my rope. The whipping technique looked cool too, but I worry about how long it would last without being woven through the outer sheath.

If the Whipping is wide it causes a hard spot.

October 26, 2014
Quick Reply