moutain boots lining

8:14 a.m. on June 2, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Is leather a good lining for high mountaineriring boots ? (like the Cerro Torre from Scarpa). Or is fabric better when you need them for use above the snow line ?
Among thoses wich one are better : gore tex ? cambrelle ? thinsulate ? combination of thoses ? ... Thanks to anyone who can answer theses questions.

11:19 a.m. on June 2, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

me first pair of lasport nepals had leather for lining, took much longer to dry than the current synth lining but the boots went back without much abuse from me and my new pair had the a new 3-bar knit. so i really dont know how leather does over time. personaly, leather lining is not for me.

to answer your ??. goretx is not a lining, its a w/p barrier between the lining and leather. cambrelle is the lining itself. thinsulate goes between cambrelle and goretex for insulation. so yes, combination is better.

belay off
john
High Ice Ak

2:16 p.m. on June 2, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

GTX Fallacy

IMHO

GTX in boots is a method to make up for poor boot construction. If it

9:11 a.m. on June 3, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Linings

Agree with adam on GTX boots. What you see inside GTX boots (where usually "GORE-TEX" is written) it's usually a relatevely thick lining (it's the way standard GTX for shoes is sold from Gore) that covers the membrane.

Linings.
Leather is very durable if leather is good (Scarpa is top quality), comfortable, but dries slower than Cambrelle, not the best for winter use (freezes easily).
Thinsulate is not really a lining, but the type used in shoemaking has its own "lining" (internal side), sort of brushed layer that dries fast and wears out faster than Cambrelle.
Cambrelle is a lining (sort of very dense 3D mesh), wears out faster than leather, it's comfortable, dries fast.

Best lining depends on use.

HIH Fil K

8:45 p.m. on June 3, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

disagree

Never had a problem or leak in any of my gtex footwear. I'd have to bet most folks will have cracked leather long before the gtex peters out.

3:35 p.m. on June 6, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

I disagree with you

There is nothing inherently wrong with goretex, it just isn't necesary. Good leather boots properly cared for don't leak. Goretex is a powerful marketing tool for gearheads who are usually overwequiped to begin with but that's their choice to waste their money on whatever they beleive they need. If you buy a pair of goretex boots and water makes it through the boot to the goretex bootie on the interior then you bought a crappy pair of boots. If somebody started laminating goretex to the leather before the boot is built then hot taping the seems and gasketing the eyelets I would consider buying them. But that would be expensive. Jamming a goretex bootie in is much cheaper and lets the manufacturer use the power of the goretex name.

7:33 a.m. on June 8, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: disagree

I took a look at those boots that have the holes worn through the GTX. They have been relegated to yard duties and no outdoor adventures. I

4:27 p.m. on June 8, 2001 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
No gore in my boots please...

Quote:

There is nothing inherently wrong with goretex, it just isn't necesary. Good leather boots properly cared for don't leak.

Agreed. Have a pair of vasque skywalkers with goretex that lasted maybe two weeks...

Quote:

Goretex is a powerful marketing tool for gearheads who are usually overwequiped to begin with but that's their choice to waste their money on whatever they beleive they need.

Works great in some items like jackets, sleepin' bags, dry suits, fishin' waders.

Boots/shoes is an interesting application but for me, not that great and not worth the cost or lack of durability.

Brian in SLC

September 1, 2014
Quick Reply