Women love guys who climb

9:26 a.m. on January 12, 2012 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

Several articles recently describe a study that found that women think that climbing is the sexiest sport for men.

http://matadornetwork.com/sports/women-rank-rock-climbing-as-the-sexiest-sport/

http://www.rockclimbergirl.com/2010/06/rock-climbing-the-sexiest-sport/

Wish they'd tell my wife.  She thinks ots hot when I fix the sink, do dishes or fold laundry.

Women who climb are sexy too, by the way. 

9:42 a.m. on January 12, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,518 forum posts

I am sorry, but my favorite male is a climber who is 62 and ROCKS the wall! VERY easy on the eyes!

11:05 a.m. on January 12, 2012 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

The mind is a funny environment...

As the the article by climber girl points out, most people have a romantisized notion of what being with a climber is like.  My girl friends drew comparisons between my habit of jerking a half dozen pull ups off every doorway I passed through, and that of meat head football jocks pressing iron.  One GF found my relentless squeezing of a rubber ball to develop hand strength something verging on a nervious tic or a freudian sublimated obsession.  And then there was the time I came back from one winter trip so severely wind and cold chapped that my face looked like a big herpies ulcer.  Yea, that was sexy - NOT!  And while some girls may find shredded elbows, knees, hands and cracked finger nails sexy (really?), I didn't like being touched on these areas while they are still new, that that is a game killer too.  Lastly I found they can tollerate the body order somewhat, unless it is eminating off frost bitten netcrotic flesh (whew!).  But I did look good in pictures...

Ed

3:26 p.m. on January 12, 2012 (EST)
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

Of course there are exceptions but I think it proves the point that women still like manly men. 

Some may pretend to like sensitive guys; the ones who drive efficient cars, have nice, booring jobs and own cats (crap, I'm describing myself) but they really want someone with a few scars on their knuckels and a wild glint in his eye (his good eye anyway).

Maybe I am reading too much into the study.   

4:22 p.m. on January 12, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,518 forum posts

I agree that I prefer manly men. BO can be washed off. Cuts and scars make one more manly. Smooth, unexposed hands are whimpy. Someone who gets outside, works up a sweat, and then cleans up has my vote for sure. The person who is the object of my admiration now is RIPPED and for a 62 year old to be RIPPED is a good thing for us females. ;) [DISCLAIMER: I am not the object of HIS admiration LOL!]

Climbers are fun to be around. I haven't really met any that chronicly squeeze the hand ball or jump up and do pull ups at all the enterences....maybe in your youth, whomeworry? As for those of us who are uh >cough< long of tooth >cough< I see the males in my age group that climb to generally be more contemplative than meat headed (perhaps whome grew out of that?) And my younger counter parts who are climbers just seem to like the whole climber thing and all that goes with it. I like that young folks getting out and doing and I admire them for their tenacity and youth. I love that they prefer two hands on a wall over two hands on a gamer device. Vid games are fun, I like em too, but there has to be a wider array of activities. Living in the outdoors has to be more important than living in an xbox, at least to me.  I also like that most outdoors tyoes tend to be a bit McGyverish....so if something needs fixing, the fix it. I do that. I fix things myself rather than call out for a repair person. It is fun to be part of making things work instead of just the user of things. Just my 2 cents.

5:46 p.m. on January 12, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,702 reviewer rep
1,338 forum posts

my wife clearly didn't take this survey.  she's more like sage's wife.  she thinks my passion for the outdoors and the winter climbs is insane.  my workouts, especially carrying large loads up and down hills, embarrass her to no end.  she doesn't like the black/red/blue forearm rings either. 

she does recognize that my passion has benefits.  she appreciates that my arsenal of blister remedies and dry skin balms is awesome, that my long experience with field repairs renders me capable of sewing or fixing almost anything (she doesn't know how to sew and is mechanically challenged), and that those climbing rings mean i can open any jar, no matter how stuck it is.  when we hike as a family, she knows that i will always have enough snacks and water and extra clothing and layers for everyone.   she will freely admit that it keeps me sane, in great shape, and highly energetic. 

in short, climbing and all that surrounds it makes me hot because i'm a better domestic asset.  :)

7:11 p.m. on January 12, 2012 (EST)
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

Leadbelly said:

she does recognize that my passion has benefits.  she appreciates that my arsenal of blister remedies and dry skin balms is awesome, that my long experience with field repairs renders me capable of sewing or fixing almost anything (she doesn't know how to sew and is mechanically challenged), and that those climbing rings mean i can open any jar, no matter how stuck it is.  when we hike as a family, she knows that i will always have enough snacks and water and extra clothing and layers for everyone.   she will freely admit that it keeps me sane, in great shape, and highly energetic. 

I think our wives might be related.

Jeff

7:34 p.m. on January 12, 2012 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

giftogab said:

..I haven't really met any that chronicly squeeze the hand ball or jump up and do pull ups at all the enterences....maybe in your youth, whomeworry? ..males in my age group that climb to generally be more contemplative than meat headed...

Doorway chins-ups and grip conditioning devices were definitely the realm of my youth, when I climbed crazy stuff that required crazy strength.  That was how we went about conditioning our hands and arms back then.  Based on some of the swag one sees in climbing shops nowadays I imagine there are still boys (and girls) who use some sort of device to get stronger fingers, etc.

The meathead thing had nothing to do with being cerebral or shallow, I was always contemplative (do dogs believe in God?  Really! How about plants?).  “Meathead” and “jock” were just a few of the gratuitous dispersions in use back in the day, perhaps an artifact of the times.  I went to a stridently liberal college where sensitive males were PC, and limited their sports to tennis, golf and backgammon.   Many of the young women equated being emancipated with being anti-male, and declared anything traditionally masculine like engaging sweaty athletics, as somehow a negative trait.  Hence as a competitive cyclist, climber, mountaineer, football defensive end, etc I was automatically a meathead, a jock.  And since I was an art major, I was subjected to a lot of flack from this more "cultivated" crowd who didn’t know me better, and thought outdoorsmen were all rednecks, and athletes meatheads.  What can one say; if playing with rocks made me a caveman, perhaps I should have spent more time hanging around the Janes, instead of the Glorias.  But it just wasn’t in the cards to meet a climber girl; extremely few women climbed back when I was young.  But you must acknowledge, it is hard for many outside this fraternity of the vertical to understand why anyone would pursue a sport where mistakes equate to death, and cuts and calluses a testament to a good time.  (You know you can get just as tanned hanging out by the pool without risking death!) 

Ed

8:45 p.m. on January 12, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,518 forum posts

Whome: EXACTLY! It is clear that even if one could argue your head was of the meateous variety, you are quite contemplative. In my youth I knew one climber and really thought he was cool, but his activity ...... at that time to me ....... was so foreign. wish I had taken more time to learn. I have thought every sport I have ever been in is a contact sport! Thus cuts and scars are victories. As a single female at this point of life, I would only want my companion to be active and loving the outdoors -- climbing included! (even if it isn't death defying climbing..) Is that an oxymoron?

2:03 a.m. on January 13, 2012 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

A meateous head.  I'll have to contemplate that one awhile.  I have deemd the stairs leading up my front porch to be an easy 5.11...

Ed

7:53 a.m. on January 13, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,702 reviewer rep
1,338 forum posts

The mountains of Ed's life.....

11:32 a.m. on January 13, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,518 forum posts

HA! Ed, your meateousness is exponetially increased by your humor! [read: compliment]

12:12 p.m. on January 14, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
723 reviewer rep
947 forum posts

Well, there's the romantic notion, and there is the reality. When I was a competitive sailor, I would often get the, "Oh sailing, that sounds so wonderful. Will you take me with you sometime?" I sailed a Danish 10 meter, as well as dinghies, but even if it was just an afternoon day sail in summer, there was always something lost in the translation of perceived images. Her image involved lying on the deck or sitting in the cockpit in shorts or a bathing suit soaking up some rays while the boat was peacefully cruising along. While that was the case once or twice in every summer,  usually my image and the reality was that even if I did everything from tending sheets to driving, the deck was too hard, it was too cold for a bathing suit, the boat was "leaning" too much, we had to "change sides" so much. This was of course, not always the case, and I sailed with a number of women who were good sailors and accepted the realities. But it illustrates that there is sometimes a romantic notion of an activity or the people who do it, while the reality is often much different.

7:12 p.m. on January 14, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
488 reviewer rep
1,087 forum posts

This reminds me of a first date I had in college.  A nice young lady had it in her head that I was something of a climber, despite my assurances that I was a rank novice (still am!). We hit a local rock gym, and she swore that she could belay.  I said "belay on?" and she said, "huh?"  That should have tipped me off.  Near the top of the beginners wall, I lunged for a hold, totally showing off and over-extending my meager abilities, and promptly peeled off the wall.  And fell.  And fell.  And...kept falling. Whereupon my cougar-like screech was abruptly interrupted when my descent was arrested perhaps 1 foot above the mat, wrenching the harness into my internal organs and reducing me to a shaking wreck for the rest of the night.  We dated for a year or so after that, but never went climbing together again.

1:28 p.m. on January 16, 2012 (EST)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

I better start climbing

6:04 p.m. on March 18, 2012 (EDT)
15 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

There are definitely guys (and gals) who are nuts about climbing and do things many people would consider crazy.

My community is full of dirtbags (I am close to self-identifying as such, I use the term with admiration) who eat carefully controlled diets. They do planks and pullups and push ups and have fancy grip strengthening gizmos that they carry with them. I would guess that people who aren't from around here would find it off-putting or strange. 

In terms of the sexy-factor of rock climbers, I would rate them as quite sexy. I don't particularly mind having an incredibly fit partner. And I can fart in the tent and get my own BO without them complaining or looking for a more "delicate" person.

9:30 a.m. on March 19, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace, Madaloon! 

1:23 p.m. on March 19, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
827 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

kudos to madaloon for working a fart and BO reference into her first post! I'm a big fan of sincerity and direct communication.

Well done and welcome!

3:50 p.m. on March 19, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Maddy:

Hooray for you!  As you allude, delicate is more a state of mind than a list of etiquete standards dictated by polite society.

We must chuckle though, this thread's theme overlooks the obvious, thst guys love women that climb.  Talk about stating the obvious...

Ed

8:51 a.m. on March 20, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

whomeworry said:

We must chuckle though, this thread's theme overlooks the obvious, thst guys love women that climb.  Talk about stating the obvious...

I that to say they love girls who climb is an understatement, lol!

1:50 p.m. on March 20, 2012 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

madaloon said:

There are definitely guys (and gals) who are nuts about climbing and do things many people would consider crazy.

My community is full of dirtbags (I am close to self-identifying as such, I use the term with admiration) who eat carefully controlled diets. They do planks and pullups and push ups and have fancy grip strengthening gizmos that they carry with them. I would guess that people who aren't from around here would find it off-putting or strange. 

In terms of the sexy-factor of rock climbers, I would rate them as quite sexy. I don't particularly mind having an incredibly fit partner. And I can fart in the tent and get my own BO without them complaining or looking for a more "delicate" person.

Welcome to TrailSpace and Fart away.  that is why the internet is so good, we won't notice either.

12:55 a.m. on April 15, 2012 (EDT)
15 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Thanks, everyone! 

Guys may love women who climb, but some guys are emasculated by the greeting handshake. Is it a dealbreaker? I don't know. 

7:22 a.m. on April 15, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

madaloon said:

..some guys are emasculated by the greeting handshake. Is it a dealbreaker? I don't know. 

Well if they felt emasculated then of course it is a deal breaker.  But why would they feel that way?  I always thought a firm grip was a good thing, and calluses indicative of the willingness to toil. 

But then why go with the hand shake?  A discrete peck on the cheek is an acceptable initial greeting in many cultures, and as you come close up it gives the opportunity to let your eyes express what may be occluded by a hand shake.   It isn’t about getting to the top first, it is about the line chosen and the fluency of the moves en route to the objective.  (ok perhaps I am a meathead!)

Ed

3:07 p.m. on April 15, 2012 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

I just climbed out of bed.  Does that count.

2:23 a.m. on April 16, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Callahan said:

I just climbed out of bed.  Does that count.

Only if you had a 5.0 Saturday night, or more extreme.

Ed

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply