Another death on Mt Washington

6:50 p.m. on April 11, 2012 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

Strange that I haven't seen it posted many places, especially on Mt Washington's rescue site, but it appears there's another unfortunate death.

An older man in his 60's was with his son descending from the summit towards Tuckerman Ravine, and he fell into a deep crevasse. Rescue services lowered workers into the crevasse but couldn't find him and couldn't reach the bottom of the crevasse safely. This happened the Sunday before Easter, they couldn't find him 4 days after the fall, and I have seen no stories posted about it since.

This time of year the mountain is particularly dangerous, with snow bridged crevasses, undermined snow, avalanches, ice fall, rock fall, etc.

I'm going Sunday but I won't take any un-needed risks, the weather forecast is looking pretty poor, and avalanche warnings have been considerable for days now. I could have my try on Washington foiled again...

7:34 p.m. on April 11, 2012 (EDT)
60 reviewer rep
115 forum posts

Yeah, me and my buddy were planning to head up there the last weekend of March but our ladies coerced us into taking us to see Keller Williams in Burlington instead. Not a bad tradeoff. Then whenChristy heard about the accident last weekend she tried making a "no Mt Washington in winter" rule. It scares the heck out of her everytime I go there. With good reason.

9:57 p.m. on April 11, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
27 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

I heard about this about a week ago. After having considered the "traverse" and seeing the amount of incidents on Washington this year I will persue a summer or fall option for that trip.

-MJG

10:58 p.m. on April 11, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

This incident was posted on VFTT's New England forum with a number of responses.

12:23 p.m. on April 12, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

sad news

3:14 p.m. on April 12, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,325 reviewer rep
1,206 forum posts

iClimb, did you ever get to come out and try Mt Hood?

9:29 p.m. on April 12, 2012 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

no sage. I will eventually get out that way when funds permit it. I'm only a couple months out from finishing up my residency and grad school and I plan on climbing denali by age 35. So there will certainly be the need to come out west at least once to get in some high altitude experience to see how I react before denali.

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply