underscoring avalanche risk

4:35 p.m. on September 24, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,291 forum posts

Serac collapse on Manaslu creates huge avalanche:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19697590

unfortunately, a disaster of similar scope to the 1995 storm on Everest chronicled in "Into Thin Air."

12:45 p.m. on September 25, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,344 reviewer rep
1,232 forum posts

Good reminder, snow is comming and with it will be avy danger.

2:26 p.m. on September 25, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,291 forum posts

i'm not planning on climbing anything with this kind of avalanche possibility, and the scope of this is a little hard to get one's arms around because the mountains are so big.  i think it said the sheet of snow & ice that broke off was several hundred yards across. 

doesn't take a big slide to bury you. 

6:04 p.m. on October 1, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

For the small number of people who are in the mountains in winter, as compared to the much larger number in the summer, the percentage who get killed is much, much higher. And most of it is from not being respectful or knowledgeable about avalanches.

But even if you do everything you're supposed to, the mountains don't care how much experience you have or how expensive your equipment is.

8:45 p.m. on October 1, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,287 forum posts

leadbelly2550 said:

...doesn't take a big slide to bury you. 

A few years ago, I was at a business conference held at Snowmass (schedule was that the business meeting and presentations started one hour after the lifts closed, with a break for dinner at 8PM). About a week before the meeting, a woman had been skiing down an Intermediate slope, when an avalanche caught her (just at the side of the groomed run in the unskied powder, self-triggered as most avalanches are that catch people). Late in the day, and though several people saw the slide, no one saw her caught in it. One of her companions got worried when she wasn't at the bottom of the run. She was only buried about 3 feet deep, but unfortunately died before she was recovered.

August 29, 2014
Quick Reply