Critique my climbing!

11:31 p.m. on February 13, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

Hi! There's a write-up on the actual You-Tubes page if you care to look, but basically, at what grade would you rate this line? Any tips for me?

12:48 p.m. on February 14, 2013 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,426 reviewer rep
1,234 forum posts

You climb better than me so I can't offer much. 

At the gym I climbed at if I were to traverse much I'd make a lot of people mad. 

5:20 p.m. on February 19, 2013 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

UP!  You gotta go up! The summit is up there, you have to go up to reach the top!  If you just want to go around the mountain, consider walking; it is easier :)  :)

Ed

5:29 p.m. on February 19, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

But it's too much fun to play around in the dirt!

8:08 p.m. on February 24, 2013 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

looks like a pretty great gym! I'm a beginner in terms of rock climbing, but to me your form seemed decent - slow, purposeful, energy conserving...but yes, you need to go UP! lol

4:45 a.m. on February 25, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

The gym is Climb On, in Homewood, Il. I purposely waited to do that line until just before they closed, hence all the stowed ropes. It really is one of the better gyms I've come across...lots of overhangs, and the setters are always putting up new stuff...I'd bet they change everything out a few times a year, which, for a gym of that size (most of it is around 35' tall and all of it is leadable), is saying something.

Most of the time I do not have the luxury of such uninhibited traversing.

1:51 p.m. on April 16, 2013 (EDT)
BRAND REP
12 reviewer rep
32 forum posts

Actually doing these types of link up climbing on random holds is quite fun and a good training tool.  If you gradually use harder and harder holds each time around, it makes a nice training progression.  As for a grade of the climb you did, it is too difficult to tell from the video, but it did look fun.  

8:49 a.m. on May 10, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

At the gyms around here, that's called 'bouldering'. They have sections with little height but a lot of side-routes just so people can practise it. No harness required, but a great way to develop technique. 

It looks like you've done that route a number of times, though, and you've found all the low-level starting footholds to step across.  Try looking for a few that involve a bit more up-and-down, vs less reaching and stretching. What's the maximum height you're allowed to do without a harness? Try working the same line at that height. 

1:44 p.m. on May 13, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

You got it, Pete!

That's the "B" line I linked up...the "A" line sees my feet around 6-8 feet above the ground, per Climb-On's rules. I enjoy switching between the two lines, but chose to stay on the lower one for that video because it was mainly made for my family and non-climber friends--so that they can have a concept of how traversing and boudering differs from roped climbing--and I wanted them to be able to see the holds I used rather than staring up at my shoes.

September 20, 2014
Quick Reply