About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Climbing great Layton Kor passes

10:41 a.m. on April 23, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,234 reviewer rep
5,182 forum posts

Layton Kor passed away April 21, 2013 at age 74. He put up many classic first ascents throughout North America and elsewhere. He was climbing into his 70s, including first ascents. I did not know him well and never climbed with him, but did several of his routes and looked up to him both literally, since he was very tall, and figuratively with respect to his climbing skills and attitudes about climbing and the outdoors.

You can read more here http://www.climbing.com/news/layton-kor-is-dead/

2:49 p.m. on April 23, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,679 reviewer rep
1,137 forum posts

So many of the greats are reaching that age; Whittaker(s), Becky, Chouinard, J. Gill,  etc. There's a mountain range of climbing knowledge, skill and experience disappearing daily. 

The men of canvas tents and hemp ropes proved that gear alone wont get you there. 

6:45 p.m. on April 23, 2013 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
2,221 forum posts

Back in the day I climbed in the areas along the Front Range Kor frequented, though I never saw him.  I was impressed with some of his projects, but his feats on sand stone impressed me the most.  I think his size worked to his advantage; I could not complete some of his routes, as the some crux holds were well beyond my reach.

Ed

10:28 p.m. on April 23, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
476 reviewer rep
283 forum posts

Too bad.  He'll be missed.  I climbed next to him once, in Yosemite.

3:50 p.m. on April 24, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
405 reviewer rep
814 forum posts

The last few years have seen many of the greats from different eras, pass. Cassin, Demaison, Herzog(if not a great climber, certainly a famous one), Hillary. RIP Layton, I hope you find some crags to climb where you are now.

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply