How do you stash your helmet when hiking?

2:27 p.m. on May 21, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,344 reviewer rep
1,228 forum posts

Whats your preference?  Is it too bulky and likely to get damaged inside the pack or too untidy looking to strap it to the outside?  I am in the strap it to the outside camp because they're just SOOO awkward inside the pack.  

I'd also like some tips if you have any about storing it for hiking that keep it from taking too much space inside or flopping too much outside.  Thanks. 

3:39 p.m. on May 21, 2014 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

I usually have a day pack, (its brown leather bottom seen on top of my pack in my avatar pic) that I stow my lid in, when using an external frame pack.  The day pack, in turn, is easy to lash down.  On extended trips my day sack may be co-opted for carrying additional food, in which case my lid is lashed to the backside on my pack.  If I am hauling an internal frame pack I lash my helmet onto the backside of the pack, the same as described for the external frame pack.  All my packs have multiple lash points; I just use some straps or cord, passing it through vent holes on the helmet to attain a secure and quiet mount.  I find most packs available today have insufficient number of lash points, or lack lash points in strategic locations.  My local shoe/luggage repair shop will add lash points to my gear upon request for a quite reasonable fee.   If you add lash points make sure the location chosen will tolerate the anticipated stress forces; else consider adding a re-enforcing backing fabric to that portion of the pack, to provide sufficient structural integrity.

Ed

5:43 p.m. on May 21, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,497 forum posts

Lashed  back.

image.jpg

7:59 p.m. on May 21, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,145 reviewer rep
598 forum posts

Under the lid of the pack, best of both worlds!

August 22, 2014
Quick Reply