rescue accident mpeg?

6:20 p.m. on March 24, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Hi..I have been lurking here for some time now (both old and new rec.useful) and have only been climbing for 2-years. A friend of mine sent me an mpeg of a rescue accident gone wrong and am quite scared now when climbing.

I know that there are some older climbers (Dan-he, ice, brian in SLC, arms ect) that have maybe seen this and could give me some info on what they were trying to do, what whent wrong, and did the climbers survive?

Sorry for the post...but i would like older climbers thoughts on this.

http://www.ifbt.ntnu.no/~johank/rockclimb.mpg

Ready to hang it up?

6:58 p.m. on March 24, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

I can't tell you how badly that gave me the willies. Luckily I watched it after just getting back from climbing. Think I'll ski tomorrow.

Do you know how the climbers made out?

7:14 p.m. on March 24, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

what happened

Hi -

I've seen this before. I don't speak spanish (anymore) but from what I get from the announcer as well as watching the video here is what happened, there was a resuer with a victim,, they were being lifted by a helicopter (if you watch, you initially see them moving upward), and the cable to the heli's winch snaps (or comes disattatched somehow) because they then fall down the hill.

The announcer talks about multiple fractures and head injuries but I don't think they died (I speak german not spanish if anyone else cares to interpret). It was in the French Alps somewhere.

Also, the REALLY disturbing part is that if you turn up the volume, over the announcer you can hear the audio from the recording, you can actually hear the guys scream. Now THAT will turn your stomach :(

I guess something like that is still taboo in the good old USA but heh maybe they don't feel bad about showing things like this on the nightly news in other countries (not that I respect the Nightly News in america ;)

James
mtncommunity.org

Quote:

Hi..I have been lurking here for some time now (both old and new rec.useful) and have only been climbing for 2-years. A friend of mine sent me an mpeg of a rescue accident gone wrong and am quite scared now when climbing.

I know that there are some older climbers (Dan-he, ice, brian in SLC, arms ect) that have maybe seen this and could give me some info on what they were trying to do, what whent wrong, and did the climbers survive?

Ready to hang it up?

8:07 p.m. on March 24, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

I can't tell you how badly that gave me the willies. Luckily I watched it after just getting back from climbing. Think I'll ski tomorrow.

Do you know how the climbers made out?

I feal the same way & is why i'm asking on the board..I'm not even leading yet and guess i will grow out of this when i get older and gain more time climbing.

I't looks to me that the climber end of the rescue was okay...But why whould a cable part?

Another thing i wonder about is the route they were on... From the fall it looked around 100 feet or under with a clear ledge where they came to an stop after falling. There was a third rescue party that you can see when the two start to go up.. Whith the three rescue personel why not rap down?

1:16 a.m. on March 25, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

Ready to hang it up?

Why did you feal to share this! Oh my....

2:42 a.m. on March 25, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

Ready to hang it up?

I watched the mpeg and found it to be gripping!

I am with jay and wonder why they did not lower a 'stokes' or a 'Borella Kong' and just lower the climbers down?

It was to be a rescue operation and though they had no accessories for the task was it worth this?

What a shame.

11:44 a.m. on March 25, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

I saw this video on one of those "amazing videos" TV shows. It was some time ago. I remember their translation was it was a training exercise gone bad. And that both guys lived.

chris

3:41 p.m. on March 26, 2001 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts
Some info

I saw this video first on Univision (the commentator is a bigger name in the Latin world than any US commentator and is watched nightly by more people than any other news commentator in the world), then later the same evening on 2 of the SF Bay Area commercial stations, a month later on a show on The Learning Channel, and later this mpeg appeared (it is pirated and not recorded with permission from Univision). It was discussed on the old RCU fairly extensively something over a year back.

The situation is a practice rescue exercise by a group of Spanish fire departments ("bomberos", if you are listening to the Spanish commentary) in the Pyrenees on the Spanish side of the border with France (not the French Alps). The operation is a sling evacuation (cable from a helicopter if you are not familiar with sling operations). Allegedly the attach point was not secured and checked, and the sling popped out at that attach point. The two firemen (rescuer and "victim") suffered serious multiple fractures, mostly leg, arm, and rib, but both lived. I have not seen a followup on how complete the recovery is, nor any reports on operations. The other "rescue party" that can be seen in the various scenes is the other participating S&R groups.

Effect on my climbing? None on quantity, frequency, or type, just a renewed awareness of the need for awareness. Rescues, especially helicopter rescues, are very dangerous. Sling operations are possibly the most dangerous of all. (Scott, this must have brought flashbacks of your rescue, or maybe you were too out of it by the time you were lifted off. And a too too vivid reminder of the chopper crash during the search for Zippo). Practice rescues and rescue seminars are more dangerous than even the rescues themselves. Remember that this is where people learn techniques and procedures for the first time, and polish them for future use. They may be beginners or very early in their learning process, while at the same time doing things that can have very serious consequences if not done exactly correctly. Thank God for the people who do S&R (I did some many years ago), but I have every intention of avoiding any need for using them. I haven't needed rescue in my almost 5 decades of technical climbing and 6 decades of backcountry travel, and I don't intend to start now. But at the same time, it is so much a part of my life and who I am that I will not give it up or reduce my activity any more than my decrepit joints and muscles dictate.

10:35 p.m. on March 26, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

yup

Gotta agree with you Bill, those S&R guys get my vote every time. Except for the obvious lack of ice, the fall in the video was almost identical to mine, although I'd be interested to see who wins the broken bone award:
ScottB 44
Spanish guys ____?
When they finally came and got me out (the next day) they had to bring in a BlackHawk because of the altitude and then drop a guy down on a 200 foot line. Of course I guess it could have been worse, I could have been stuck on Denali in a tiny tent for a week or two.

So anyway, five months later, I'm sitting on the tailgate of my truck parked at the foot of Shasta with Chili and Em as I recall, listening to the BlackHawk go down while looking for Zippo. Both times, S&R guys hanging it way out there. Needless to say that there'll never be a S&R person that buys themselves a drink when I'm in the bar.

10:37 p.m. on March 26, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Bill S.. Inside Please

Quote:

I saw this video first on Univision (the commentator is a bigger name in the Latin world than any US commentator and is watched nightly by more people than any other news commentator in the world), then later the same evening on 2 of the SF Bay Area commercial stations, a month later on a show on The Learning Channel, and later this mpeg appeared (it is pirated and not recorded with permission from Univision). It was discussed on the old RCU fairly extensively something over a year back.

The situation is a practice rescue exercise by a group of Spanish fire departments ("bomberos", if you are listening to the Spanish commentary) in the Pyrenees on the Spanish side of the border with France (not the French Alps). The operation is a sling evacuation (cable from a helicopter if you are not familiar with sling operations). Allegedly the attach point was not secured and checked, and the sling popped out at that attach point. The two firemen (rescuer and "victim") suffered serious multiple fractures, mostly leg, arm, and rib, but both lived. I have not seen a followup on how complete the recovery is, nor any reports on operations. The other "rescue party" that can be seen in the various scenes is the other participating S&R groups.

Effect on my climbing? None on quantity, frequency, or type, just a renewed awareness of the need for awareness. Rescues, especially helicopter rescues, are very dangerous. Sling operations are possibly the most dangerous of all. (Scott, this must have brought flashbacks of your rescue, or maybe you were too out of it by the time you were lifted off. And a too too vivid reminder of the chopper crash during the search for Zippo). Practice rescues and rescue seminars are more dangerous than even the rescues themselves. Remember that this is where people learn techniques and procedures for the first time, and polish them for future use. They may be beginners or very early in their learning process, while at the same time doing things that can have very serious consequences if not done exactly correctly. Thank God for the people who do S&R (I did some many years ago), but I have every intention of avoiding any need for using them. I haven't needed rescue in my almost 5 decades of technical climbing and 6 decades of backcountry travel, and I don't intend to start now. But at the same time, it is so much a part of my life and who I am that I will not give it up or reduce my activity any more than my decrepit joints and muscles dictate.

Thank you Bill...

I figured this site would be the place to ask..! If it is okay with you i would like to save your note for future use.. Just let me know?

10:47 p.m. on March 26, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: yup

Hey Scott, I have only been climbing for around 2 years and would love to hear about your accident.. What and where you were climbing, style, and in your mind what it was that caused the accident? What you would do now on the same route ect.. I feal that listening to climbers who have had to go through what you did.. bad weather, equipment, others in the party. To me this is the best information on climbing!

I would like to request a story from you someday when you have the time..

JJ

11:17 p.m. on March 26, 2001 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts
well, after all, it was publicly posted

Can't stop someone from saving something public for future use.

11:25 p.m. on March 26, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: well, after all, it was publicly posted

Quote:

Can't stop someone from saving something public for future use.

Thanx, Great info and might 'paste' it on other areas of intrest to me.

JJ

12:49 a.m. on March 27, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

I am NOT an old climber

I am a loudmouth. I have been WALKING up peaks since I was 6 (which now encompasses 29 years) and scrambling up things since I was 8 (same peak -- Katahdin).

I have been climbing technical rock for 19 months. Period. I have wandered on two legs at high altitude plenty more than that, and even was smart enough to rope up for the occasional glacier. I have "mountain sense," and feel comfortable there. But I am NOT an "old climber," and desperately do not want to mislead anyone on that tip. I'm still just learning to climb 9s and 10s (see my post a year ago, "Pushing the YDS" on old RCU) and that is that. I can tell you all kinds of sensible things about afternoon storm patterns, not getting lost by using dead reckoning and topographic interpolation (it's all about the watershed, and no, this isn't BS), but as far a sinking cams and etc., I'm a newbie. Period. I refer all greybeard questions to BillS, Brutus, Scott and my personal Obi-wan, RR. They Know. I simply Try, though quite often.

1:50 a.m. on March 27, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: I am NOT an old climber

Dan Dan DAN... I'm not trying to be malitious and start a conflict with you and am sure you know this.. I have watched you on the old board and don't think you are quite the loudmouth that.. you think you are, in fact yer commenting on a post is important to me as a "young buck" more so than others.. Seriously i do not see this accident as rediculous as others.. on other sites. They seem to disprove, say it's natural selection in progress ect.. To me this is gripping when i see reports of ghoulish accidents, mpegs...all the same on all things that climbers do to be in the 'mistake world'... And most people dissuade what happened all together as they have no answere? They tend to go on about something other?

All i wish to do is discuss this with people (like you) and try to learn is all...

Mistakes happen..and i'm sure i might make a few

5:19 p.m. on March 28, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Not a flame

No malice assigned -- I was just trying to clarify. I really do not think much of fakers and don't want to be one.

The best thing I ever read on accidents was Reinhold Messner's quote that "every accident involves human error to some degree." I believe this to be true, and a (likely self-consciously so) complicated phrase with lots of unsaid and suggested ideas beneath.

Let no one say I am an old hand at proper roped-up climbing. I'm just this side of completely wet behind the ears.

9:39 p.m. on August 11, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Chris Jones

Could you please email me an attachment of the mpeg? I teach a recreation risk mngt. class and this would really be nice to have for a presentation that I am giving.

Thanks,

Chris

Quote:

Quote:

Ready to hang it up?

I watched the mpeg and found it to be gripping!

I am with jay and wonder why they did not lower a 'stokes' or a 'Borella Kong' and just lower the climbers down?

It was to be a rescue operation and though they had no accessories for the task was it worth this?

What a shame.

11:46 p.m. on August 12, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Chris

, what whent wrong, and did the climbers survive?

Quote:

Quote:

Ready to hang it up?

11:47 p.m. on August 12, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Chris

,I found out that the two climbers did survive, saw a post on another website. I don't know what went wrong either. I would like to know as well.

what whent wrong, and did the climbers survive?

Quote:

Quote:

Ready to hang it up?

September 20, 2014
Quick Reply