Beta for Shoestring Gully in NH

9:27 p.m. on December 12, 2001 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

I am looking to climb Shoestring and some of the other gully's on Mt. Webster in NH. I know that they are mosly NEI2 but want to know what gear is needed. What should I carry for rock and ice pro.

12:23 a.m. on December 13, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

I am looking to climb Shoestring and some of the other gully's on Mt. Webster in NH. I know that they are mosly NEI2 but want to know what gear is needed. What should I carry for rock and ice pro.

Depending on conditions of course...
I didn't place any rock pro but took the usual couple of knifeblades, maybe 5 nuts, a tricam or two and 2 big hexes.
It's really a big snow climb with a few fun steps of ice.
Bring 3 screws or so, 2 for a potential ice belay and one or two for pro. Bring some cordlette size slings as you can often belay, if you aren't just simuling, from trees on the side of the gully.
The crux of the climb is getting into the right gully.
The topout is wonderfull and if you proceed to climbers right, you can pick up the Webster cliff trail all the way down.
One of the most fun excursions I have ever had in NE as you are climbing for around 3000 feet.
Enjoy and post a TR.
One remote thing to think of is that the gullies on Webster are the site of some of the only avalanches in the east, so keep that in mind.
Cheers and have a blast,
Christian :?)

Also note the nice mixed finish that is right before the top out. You will see a way to dry tool through the rock on the right hand side.

1:32 p.m. on December 17, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

thanks!

after a season of not quite getting it, much appreciated.

now - the REAL question is where do you approach?
1. where did you park? near willey's?
2. where did you cross the saco?
3. slog around to the gully, approach it straight on?

might sound like i'm joking... wish i was. :)

best,
mkg

1:33 p.m. on December 17, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

yo, christian, actually a question above - n/t

darn no edit/fat finger...

1:39 p.m. on December 17, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: thanks!

Quote:

after a season of not quite getting it, much appreciated.

now - the REAL question is where do you approach?
1. where did you park? near willey's?

As you are coming from N.Conway you go around a right hand bend before Mt. Webster. You will see the AT crossing and a parking lot on L.
Just past here, maybe a 1/4 of a mile just pull off on the side of the road, I seem to remember a pullout.
You will have to walk the road from the AT back to the car on the way down, but no biggie.

Quote:

2. where did you cross the saco?

Pretty much right from the car. It wasn't bad at all and will be even easier w/ this years drought.

Quote:

3. slog around to the gully, approach it straight on?

Approach the gully straight on, first through the trees then it will start to open up a bit. Really nice walking from the Saco.

Quote:

Just hit up the gully on the right, don't go too far left and you will be fine, or at least you will be on another route.

Quote:

best,
mkg

Double check this w/ Wilcox to be sure.
Cheers,
Christian :?)

1:44 p.m. on December 17, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

now thanks!

Quote:

Quote:

Just hit up the gully on the right, don't go too far left and you will be fine, or at least you will be on another route.

got this t-shirt. landslide gully (failed late-2/01). :)

Quote:

Double check this w/ Wilcox to be sure.

done and done (wrong).

thanks again.

best,
mkg

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply