semi-rigid crampons

3:29 p.m. on February 12, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Hi,

could anybody describe semi-rigid crampons? (When and how to use them is already clear.) It

11:32 p.m. on February 12, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

What?

..."When and how to use them is already clear"

How could "when and how" possibly be clear when you don't know how to describe them? There are two basic types of crampons, each with two different traits. Rigid, semi-rigid. Vertical points, horizontal points. How do you not know how to describe them when you know what they do? You should just say you don't know what they do or what they are for. Sheeesh.

Semi rigid means not fully rigid--good God! That means they have some flex to them and your boot flexes with them to a degree. The frame either has a hinge or uses horizontally flat bars that flex. The better question is really on their use and when--but you evidently know that (although I don't possibly know how with your question).

11:11 a.m. on February 13, 2002 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
Rigid, semi and flexable...

Quote:

could anybody describe semi-rigid crampons? (When and how to use them is already clear.) It

8:12 p.m. on February 13, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Numbnut

If you'd bothered to wait or had given some leeway or even - god forbid - thought that as is the case Iris does not have English as a first language, you may be a bit less like a pit bull on speed!

Macca

10:24 p.m. on February 13, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Your right

Absolutely, positively. For Iris--I am sorry, I should have been more patient or not responded at all. Sometimes I let outside influences (non climbing or board related) get me down and I take it out on the nearest outlet--in this case the keyboard and indirectly you. Sorry. I reread my post and I came across as rude and insensitive.

Rigid crampons don't flex--they are good for vertical ice but poor for walking on.

Semi-rigid crampons have a bit of flex which makes them very good all-around crampons for walking, non-vertical slopes, and short vertical slopes.

For Macca--your right. Thanks.

2:18 a.m. on February 14, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

To be honest...

It wasn't only the tone of the post it was the deliberate anonymity that irked me.

You wanna flame, flame - but be a decent & brave guy (girl?) and use your usual handle!

Macca

8:54 a.m. on February 14, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: To be honest...

Hey I just popped in here and the guy seems suitably humbled now!
Let's all relax, it's only a boot...

Whoops...

(I prefer the internet anyway)

(and sex)

5:47 a.m. on February 17, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: Rigid, semi and flexable...

Thanks Brian. Good hint. I

5:48 a.m. on February 17, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: What?

Hi!

Quote:

-)))

What did you eat that your adrenalin level is as high? ;-)

Unfortunately, this terminology is not just for fun. The instructions do not allow to write definitions myself. Even not in German my native language. That's the point. If I don't find some really good ones I have to ask experts. That

5:49 a.m. on February 17, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: Numbnut

Thanks, Macca!!!

Iris

September 18, 2014
Quick Reply