BD Black Prophet

6:58 p.m. on February 18, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Does anyone ever had problems with a shaft failure with Black Diamond Black Prophet ice tools? I have one axe that is failed below the head and I am wondering if it has ever happened to anyone else.

Thanks

9:29 p.m. on February 18, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Jason Phelps

Quote:

Does anyone ever had problems with a shaft failure with Black Diamond Black Prophet ice tools? I have one axe that is failed below the head and I am wondering if it has ever happened to anyone else.

Thanks

Here ya go man - I broke the hammer off mine and was searching for info and found this on a web site. BTW - If you email Chris you'll hear right back from him - contrary to what I've heard others say about BD customer service!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Black Diamond Equipment, Ltd. is issuing a RECALL for specific batches of Black Prophet Bent Shaft Ice Tools because of recent shaft failures (this recall does not apply to straight shaft tools). Over the last year we have seen approximately 1% returns from specific suspect batches that have failed due to delamination of the composite material from the aluminum core. We have determined that it is relatively easy to delaminate the composite in the shaft of the suspect tools if you miss-hit it on an ice bulge or rock edge. This failure is generally not catastrophic if you regularly inspect and discontinue using your tool after such a damage causing miss-hit. To tell if your shaft is damaged look for bubble like bumps or ridges or for large dents (cuts in the rubber from crampon deballing are not a concern). With continued use of a damaged shaft there is the possibility that the head can separate from the shaft rendering the tool useless for climbing or self arrest. Therefore, we are requesting that all owners of the specific tools send them in for replacements so this failure does not occur while you are climbing.

The suspect tools were manufactured between December 1994 and December 1995 (tools made in January 1995 are not part of this suspect group). It is very easy to tell if your tool belongs to this group of suspect tools. Look under the pick attachment point on the head of the tool where an engraved number will be present. If this number is either "D94" or falls between 5030 and 5365 then you have one of the suspect tools (tools with no numbers or numbers other than the above are not suspect and are fine to continue using. O94 is a valid number which is not part of the recall). If you have tools with the suspect numbers, we ask that you contact the store where you purchased the tool and obtain a replacement tool. If you are unable to contact your store you should package your tool and send it to us and we will replace it. If you are sending your tool to us directly use the following address:

BP Recall
Black Diamond Equipment, Ltd.
2084 E 3900 So.
Salt Lake City, Utah 84124.
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you,
The Employee Owners Of Black Diamond Equipment, Ltd.

Any questions should be directed to:
Chris Harmston
Quality Assurance Manager
801-273-5508
email: chrish@bdel.com

8:45 a.m. on February 19, 2002 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
CFBP or BP??

Quote:

Quote:

Is your tool a Carbon Fiber Black Prophet or an older Black Prophet?

Quote:

Here ya go man - I broke the hammer off mine and was searching for info and found this on a web site. BTW - If you email Chris you'll hear right back from him - contrary to what I've heard others say about BD customer service!

Bzzzt. Chris doesn't work at BD anymore.

You might try Paul T.

Good info on the recall. Problem seems fixed...

Brian in SLC

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply