OK.....It's time for a seemingly dumb question.....

9:53 p.m. on March 13, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

As anyone can see in the threads directly below, there has been quite a bit of talk lately regarding crampons. Therefore, based on "Les M's" problem with his crampon straps being too short to fit his plastics good, I feel the need to address an issue that's been bugging me for a while now.

I have a pair of Stubai Tyrol Pro step-in crampons. They are a three-piece, semi-rigid style, with toe bail front and heel clip on the rear. Each of the three pieces, of each crampon, have a "letter" designation printed/stamped on them. One crampon has the letter "L" printed on it, and the other has the letter "R" printed/stamped on it.

Now, common sense leads one to believe that the letter "L" should stand for "Left," as in left-foot; the same goes for "R," in that it stands for right-foot. HOWEVER, I swear that the crampon marked with the "L" fits the RIGHT boot of my climbing boots better than it does on the left boot! The same is true for the crampon marked with the "R;" it seems to fit, or looks like it fits, the left boot better than it does the right boot!

Am I missing something here? The "L" and the "R" do, or should, stand for left and right respectively, right? If so, and if the correct letter designation is placed on the corresponding boot, the crampons "look" goofey, compared to if they're switched. If they're switched, they "look" like they fit the boots MUCH better.

Anyone else ever come across something such as this?

9:42 p.m. on March 17, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Go with what works, feels and looks right...or should I say correct? The flat band that connects the front and rear sections of the crampons should be curved a bit in its horizontal plane, such that it will match the curve of your boot and your foot. This curvature, as viewed directly from the top, should be concave inwards...the band should curve to the inside. Maybe they printed them wrong. Have you called the manufacturer?

PamolaPat

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply