Bivy Sacks

9:09 p.m. on March 24, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

I'm looking into the purchase of a bivy sack. I'm considering Bibler's Tripod Bivy as well as looking at Integral Design's Unishelter and Sola. I want something with a little extra room above my head for a few necessities, maybe even by boots if possible. Anybody have experience with these bivys or any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Any additional comments on making life easier while bivy-sleeping would be appreciated as well. Thanks up front...

Scott

10:42 p.m. on March 24, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

ID Sola

I've got an ID Sola, and used it last year at Trail Camp on Mt Whitney. It's got room inside for boots, clothes, etc. The few extra inches for space above your face prevents most of the claustrophobia... It does require staking out, so it's not like most bivies.

If you're going with a bivy rather than a tent, don't forget to find some kind of pack cover.

10:19 a.m. on March 25, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

I'll Play

With the 3 solo tents (these are not bivy sacks by the way) you mentioned, why not add a few dollars and min wgt and get a bivy tent. The Tripod is close to $350 and for about another $150 you can get a full-on ID MK Lite real tent. You will have more room for any and everything to do with being in a tent.

For bivy sleeping, if you want to go as light as possible, what a bivy sack is intended for, the ID Endurance Bivy wgs in the 12oz arena and packs down to softball size. Its not real large internaly (+20F bag limit with pad) but sure is light and small. Life is not easy in a bivy sack thats why I rareley use one anymore and drag along my bivy tent. There are those who use a tarp over a bivy sack for comfort but why not drag along a bivy tent = same wgt and pack space for the comfort / protection level.

Of the 3 you mentioned, the ID Sola would be my choice.

Belay-Off
The Barking Dawg

4:14 p.m. on March 27, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Follow the Dawg

Gotta agree with the Dawg on this. I've started doing more winter stuff and have a piece of junk solo Sierra Designs tent that weighs something like 2.2 lbs. With it I use a 3/4 length pad and put my pack under my feet area, and can fit all of my non-metal stuff in the tent. It's a LOT of comfort for not much weight, especially if the weather is unpleasant. I've even used it essentially as a bivy sack when I wanted to just crash for a few hours. I don't know that I would recommend the model I have (I think I got it for about $80, so it's worth what I paid), but the concept is great.

1:32 a.m. on March 28, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Welcome back 'hack

I have a Bibler bivy bag (the bare bones 700g one without all the poles) that I quite like. It has a 'smile' type entrance rather than side zip so not the easiest to get itno, but boy is it waterproof. I've been stuck in it in the bush like a bit of sausage filling for 36 hours in a thunder storm or two and didn't get wet. Even breathed not too bad so didn't drown in own expiration and perspiration.

On next mtneering trip however with 2 of us we think we'll just take the tent and use without poles as a 2 man bivvy bag as needed. I know Dawg has done this, so watch this space for our experiences....t-19 days and counting.

Macca

8:54 p.m. on March 28, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Scott - I own a Bibler Tripod, TNF Soloist and a few other bivies. I love Integral Designs but liked the first two mentioned bivies a little better than their Unishelter. Mainly because you have to stake it in order to exploit the advantage of having extra space overhead.

Between the Bibler and TNF: the Bibler weighs more but has more room inside. Setting it up isn't too bad but certainly not as easy as the TNF. Although not required, you will likely want to stake the Tripod out. I guess I prefer the TNF Soloist because it is a simple design; easy to set up and lighter. - John

September 20, 2014
Quick Reply