Carabiner recommendation?

7:23 p.m. on April 7, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Paul, Paul R, Paul R., Paul Raphaelson, PR

I need to get a bunch of biners, mostly for trad rock and alpine climbing. Looking for something light, nicely made, but that won't be too small to use with gloves on. Do you guys like wire gate biners? What kind?

I have a bunch of DMM lightning biners which I like a lot. Very light, nice, though a little on the small side. I may put these on one end of the runner, and a slightly bigger, wiregate biner on the other end.
Any thoughs?

thanks a bunch, P

11:26 a.m. on April 8, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Jerry S.

I have used all types of biners, mostly BD, and the one that I would recommend for building a trad/alpine rack is the BD Light D. You could even get the cosmetically blemished ones for a great price.

Jerry S.
Denver, CO

Quote:

I need to get a bunch of biners, mostly for trad rock and alpine climbing. Looking for something light, nicely made, but that won't be too small to use with gloves on. Do you guys like wire gate biners? What kind?

I have a bunch of DMM lightning biners which I like a lot. Very light, nice, though a little on the small side. I may put these on one end of the runner, and a slightly bigger, wiregate biner on the other end.
Any thoughs?

thanks a bunch, P

9:56 p.m. on April 8, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Those light D's will freeze closed, and have a pitful gate opening, and you'll be trying to yank your mitten back out every time you clip.

Get the BD quickwires, very affordable (not the hotwire, which is more expensive but basically the same thing). Much wider gate opening, won't freeze shut, no gate flutter (big whoop). Oh, and lighter too.

And with the beating biners take on alpine climbs, the one piece gate will last a hell of a lot longer than the traditional 4 piece ones, most of the biners i've retired the gates had gotten caddywompus, that wire gate will stay put for ever.

Quote:

I have used all types of biners, mostly BD, and the one that I would recommend for building a trad/alpine rack is the BD Light D. You could even get the cosmetically blemished ones for a great price.

Jerry S.
Denver, CO

Quote:

Any thoughs?

thanks a bunch, P

10:12 p.m. on April 8, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Paul, Paul R, Paul R., Paul Raphaelson, PR

Brandon, that's about the direction I've been looking. I have a bunch of light Ds and they're heavy and have a miniscule gate opening.

What IS the difference between quickwires and hotwires? A lot of people have suggested hotwires, but I don't know what distinguishes them.

Anyone have experience with the Trango light wiregate biners?

Thanks again,
P

Quote:

Those light D's will freeze closed, and have a pitful gate opening, and you'll be trying to yank your mitten back out every time you clip.

Get the BD quickwires, very affordable (not the hotwire, which is more expensive but basically the same thing). Much wider gate opening, won't freeze shut, no gate flutter (big whoop). Oh, and lighter too.

And with the beating biners take on alpine climbs, the one piece gate will last a hell of a lot longer than the traditional 4 piece ones, most of the biners i've retired the gates had gotten caddywompus, that wire gate will stay put for ever.

Quote:

Jerry S.
Denver, CO

Quote:

Any thoughs?

thanks a bunch, P

9:29 a.m. on April 9, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Jerry S.

I have to agree with you in some points as I neglected to mention the Quickwires, especially for alpine climbing. They're approx 8 grams less in weight than the Light D's and would be easier to clip with large mittens (I wear gloves) with the larger opening. I have a bunch of the Quickwires and they have been a good biner. For trad, and IMHO, I have used mostly Light D's as I can buy the slighly blemished ones very inexpensively and I've never had a problem with them freezing up or being hard to handle with bare hands. If you're going alpine, pay the piper and buy the Quickwires.

Quote:

6:18 p.m. on April 9, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Hotwires came first, with their own specially designed body, which has a more pronounced nose, and is generally a little bigger, than the quickwires.

The quickwire is simply the good 'ole quicksilver biner body with a wire gate. Have been about 2 or 3 bucks cheaper for the past few years.

Good luck. Never buy anything again but wire gates, and maybe a few ovals for racking and walls.

1:24 p.m. on April 16, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Those trango lightweight wire gates are great, ive gotta bunch of them and seem to hold up well. They're really thin though so dont set any top ropes up with them or you'll have a groove deep enough to set your pinky finger in. I like the wiregate omegalite 4.0 personally, the're big and easy to clip, light, and usually cheap. good luck

4:40 p.m. on April 17, 2002 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

I replaced all of my non-lockers with BD neutrinos. Bought all new spectra slings at the same time - much lighter for TRAD climbing in Yosemite.
Jim (:->)

September 2, 2014
Quick Reply