Suunto Observer?

10:33 p.m. on April 11, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

I have seen much written about the Vector. I know the Observer is a much more expensive watch but at least I can wear it to work without people thinking I have a Star Trek Beacon on my wrist. I know the alarm is quiet. Will this watch have similar water problems as mentioned in previous posts? The face seems to have very easy to read numbers and I'm hoping the altimeter is improved from earlier models stated in other posts. Anyone have any direct experience with this watch? Give me all the pros and cons as you see them. I'm open for a lively discussion.
Thanks in advance,
Wonderer

7:12 a.m. on April 12, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Jerry S.

Excellent watch. Solid workmanship, accurate barometer and altimeter, chronograph (new), hard mineral crystal face, comfortable rubber strap, attractive design, not too large yet fits the wrist comfortably. Biggest drawback as you mentioned: almost silent alarm. I wear it when I workout and while climbing mountains, back country skiing. Compass function and backlite are also plusses. I purchased the Observer because it is a rugged outdoors watch for all occasions. I don't need another 'dress watch'. Just another solid, well built watch that has a lot of uses. Buy it and enjoy!

Jerry S.
Denver, CO

Quote:

I have seen much written about the Vector. I know the Observer is a much more expensive watch but at least I can wear it to work without people thinking I have a Star Trek Beacon on my wrist. I know the alarm is quiet. Will this watch have similar water problems as mentioned in previous posts? The face seems to have very easy to read numbers and I'm hoping the altimeter is improved from earlier models stated in other posts. Anyone have any direct experience with this watch? Give me all the pros and cons as you see them. I'm open for a lively discussion.
Thanks in advance,
Wonderer

1:32 p.m. on April 12, 2002 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,282 forum posts

The Observer's altimeter/barometer has the same strengths and weaknesses as the rest of the Suunto line. The altimeter and absolute pressure barometer are as accurate as any pressure-based barometer or altimeter (reset the altimeter at known locations), but the problem with the conversion algorithm for the sea-level barometer function apparently still exists. And the compass de-calibration problem still exists as well. These problems won't bother most people in most uses, but there are other alternatives if you want the functionality at a much lower price (even within the Suunto line). The leakage problem is resolved if you replace the gasket on the battery chamber every time you open it, so that should not concern you.

Now if it is jewelry you want, then do like a lot of folks do - get yourself a genuine Rolex for daily use, and use the wrist computer for your trekking. Does your significant other wear her fanciest diamond earings and necklace on a 2-week backpack? No? Well, why wear your fancy watch on a backpack? (you _did_ give her the diamond necklace for her birthday _before_ spending the money on the fancy watch, didn't you?)

2:47 p.m. on April 13, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Funny that you mention the girlfriend. Actually, she wants to buy it for me as a graduation gift. I guess some of us are more lucky than others.
Wonderer

Quote:

The Observer's altimeter/barometer has the same strengths and weaknesses as the rest of the Suunto line. The altimeter and absolute pressure barometer are as accurate as any pressure-based barometer or altimeter (reset the altimeter at known locations), but the problem with the conversion algorithm for the sea-level barometer function apparently still exists. And the compass de-calibration problem still exists as well. These problems won't bother most people in most uses, but there are other alternatives if you want the functionality at a much lower price (even within the Suunto line). The leakage problem is resolved if you replace the gasket on the battery chamber every time you open it, so that should not concern you.

Now if it is jewelry you want, then do like a lot of folks do - get yourself a genuine Rolex for daily use, and use the wrist computer for your trekking. Does your significant other wear her fanciest diamond earings and necklace on a 2-week backpack? No? Well, why wear your fancy watch on a backpack? (you _did_ give her the diamond necklace for her birthday _before_ spending the money on the fancy watch, didn't you?)

9:12 p.m. on November 13, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

I'm thinking about buying a wristop computer from suunto observer. Could anyone of you recommend it or are there any other (better) alternatives?

Quote:

If the observer is the best one, where can I buy it over the internet for international shipment?

August 28, 2014
Quick Reply