Gloves???

5:22 a.m. on May 11, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Just looking for some advice. I need a decent pair of waterproof gloves (that won't break the bank) for alpine mountaineering that I could also use on ice in a pinch. Thanks guys.

6:45 p.m. on May 12, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

Just looking for some advice. I need a decent pair of waterproof gloves (that won't break the bank) for alpine mountaineering that I could also use on ice in a pinch. Thanks guys.

My guess is you'll need more than one pair of gloves. For alpine stuff, I use a pair of poly-pro or equivalent liner gloves, a pair of fluffy polar-fleece or Dachstein wool mittens and a pair of over mittens made of gortex with a toughened / rough / rubber / grippy palm. I also carry a pair of gortex fingered gloves which I use with the poly pro liners if the temp. is warm enough and/or I need the added dexterity. I have a pair of windstopper gloves which I sometimes take if the mountain is cold and windy but not technical. These also fit under the gortex mittens or fingered shells if I start needing to dunk my hands on the snow.

For ice.... ummm.... are any gloves waterproof enough? I'm not an expert in this area like many on this list and my experience is limted but no matter what gloves I use they always end up wet inside and out.

As far as brands are concerned... OR make some nice ones but if you check out models by other brands you'll find plenty to choose from. Make sure they fit comfortably (with all layers on) but not too tightly or they'll reduce circulation in your fingers and you'll not be able to keep them warm.

Alan.

3:40 p.m. on May 15, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Hey,

I use a pair of Lowe Apine gloves (forget which model) with a WP shell, they come wiht a fleece liner that is removeable. They have been adaqate for ice outings and the shells are great over a ligher pair of inserts for general mountaineering (I use a lighet poly usually or a light fleece, the shells just fit nicely aound them). So, for the 60 bucks I paid for the while combo, plus a bit more for a thinner glove that serves as a liner, I managed a pretty good system. Personally, I don't care for OR gloves but that
s just personal opinon, go mess around with differnt combos at a shop and get one that seems to fit your needs. If it dosen't, write it off as research and try again next season. Good Luck.

-alex

Quote:

9:20 p.m. on May 25, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Contact

Alan,

Out of interest where when do you get out of Oz for alpine stuff. Be interested in having a chat or exchanging emails some time. Droip me a line (paul@asott.nsw.edu.aunospam - remove nospam to mail obviously)

Cheers,

Macca

Quote:

Quote:

My guess is you'll need more than one pair of gloves. For alpine stuff, I use a pair of poly-pro or equivalent liner gloves, a pair of fluffy polar-fleece or Dachstein wool mittens and a pair of over mittens made of gortex with a toughened / rough / rubber / grippy palm. I also carry a pair of gortex fingered gloves which I use with the poly pro liners if the temp. is warm enough and/or I need the added dexterity. I have a pair of windstopper gloves which I sometimes take if the mountain is cold and windy but not technical. These also fit under the gortex mittens or fingered shells if I start needing to dunk my hands on the snow.

For ice.... ummm.... are any gloves waterproof enough? I'm not an expert in this area like many on this list and my experience is limted but no matter what gloves I use they always end up wet inside and out.

As far as brands are concerned... OR make some nice ones but if you check out models by other brands you'll find plenty to choose from. Make sure they fit comfortably (with all layers on) but not too tightly or they'll reduce circulation in your fingers and you'll not be able to keep them warm.

Alan.

10:01 p.m. on June 9, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

EMS's shell gloves are well designed (unlike most of EMS's gloves) but (like the other gloves) suffer from cheap construction. They use good materials-Hypalon palms and fingers, ripstop goretex, and some stretchy stuff too. They have a very nice high guantlet that locks out snow and wind very well, and they are clean, minimalist, no extraneous stitching patterns or flashy logos. In marked contrast, however, to several other pieces of EMS clothing I own(including a true top of the line 3 layer shell), the construction was shoddy and inconsistent between several different specimens I went through. The seams kept breaking open. Oh, well, a real pain, especially becuase they are so well designed, but don't worry, EMS has a great warrantee, so they might be worth a try next season.

PamolaPat

September 18, 2014
Quick Reply