About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Water Filters

10:59 a.m. on June 12, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. jeff keeney

Looking to retire my Pur Voyager, as it seems they have never figured out the recall issue, and I just do not trust it anymore. Thinking about getting the MSR Miniworks. Anyone had experience with this filter (or figured out how to use the Voyager safely post-recall)?

11:33 a.m. on June 12, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Jason Phelps

I have a PUR hiker and a MSR Miniworks.

The PUR is definately MUCH FASTER - (we jokingly call it the PURrarri!)

The MSR is more convienient if you use Nalgene bottles, just screw the bottle onto the pump and go! (No balancing on a wet rock while holding the bottle your trying to fill between your knees)

The big difference though is once the PUR is clogged, your all done, no more water. I took my MSR to Alaska, pumping from streams full of glacial silt. I had to clean the MSR filter after every six or seven liters. I would have been screwed had I brought the PUR.

Quote:

Looking to retire my Pur Voyager, as it seems they have never figured out the recall issue, and I just do not trust it anymore. Thinking about getting the MSR Miniworks. Anyone had experience with this filter (or figured out how to use the Voyager safely post-recall)?

8:47 p.m. on June 13, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

I would not be so worried about a purifier - Its only advantage is killing viruses which are not a problem in North American water sources. Actually I recently read of a study (in Backpacker?) where they tested backcountry concentrations of Giardia. The worst backcountry water had a lower concentration than the water supply for San Francisco. The implication was that no treatment of water was necessary at all as long as you are smart about it. I won;t go that far but just use a Pur Hiker like most backpackers. If it gets clogged with glacial silt, just inscrew the filter and rinse it out, just protect the outlet hole on top. This is the easiest field maintenance of a filter that there is. Also in glacial water source, just put a bandana over the pre-filter to prevent that issue anyway. You'll still pump more water faster and easier than any other filter.

Quote:

9:30 p.m. on July 3, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Love my PUR Hiker. Flow is greater than 1 liter per minute, filter is light and durable. Filters are also relatively cheap. I will admit that the MSR screw on attachment for Nalgene bottles is very nice though. It would make a nice addition to the PUR filter.

4:50 a.m. on December 4, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: Water Filters - KATADYN

Not too fast to use, but great longevity, durability, and reliability. Easy to clean the element.

Look for deals on the net.
In the long run, cheaper than a pur etc., as long as you don't use it.

A pur is great for N.A. backcountry, as its output is very high, but MSR might be more maintainable?

I go with the katadyn.
Maybe a luxury item, but when I travel to foreign lands, I'll be able to drink anywhere.

depends on your needs really,

For me, durability, longevity, and world use were the winners.

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply