Mt. St. Helen's this weekend...

12:07 p.m. on June 18, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scott, Scott M

I'm flying out to Portland on Thursday to to hike Mt. St. Helen's on Friday. Some people in our group are going to rent plastic boots. I plan to rent crampons and an ice axe but am wondering if I really need the plastic boots. I have a pair of Merrell Wilderness which I'm thinking will be fine. There will be snow and slush conditions I guess. It just seems that a pair of gaitors and my boots which are crampon compatible would be good enough...what do you think?

7:23 p.m. on June 18, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Sounds iffy to me..................I personally wouldn't wear the Wilderness boots up there, at least not right now (was up there in that area just a couple of weeks ago and there was still a ton of snow). A good pair of leather mtneering boots would probably do, but then again, plastics would probably be that much better. Was on Shasta this past weekend, with leathers, and most were wearing plastics. I can honestly say that there were a few instances where I wouldn't have minded to have plastics, too. Bet your feet would get wet and cold, especially with the Norwegian welt, if you go with the Wilderness.

Quote:

I'm flying out to Portland on Thursday to to hike Mt. St. Helen's on Friday. Some people in our group are going to rent plastic boots. I plan to rent crampons and an ice axe but am wondering if I really need the plastic boots. I have a pair of Merrell Wilderness which I'm thinking will be fine. There will be snow and slush conditions I guess. It just seems that a pair of gaitors and my boots which are crampon compatible would be good enough...what do you think?

8:27 a.m. on June 19, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scott, Scott M

Thanks for the response. I've gotten about 50/50 response on which to go with from everybody I've asked. I guess it will mostly come down to if the platic boots fit. My friends are going to have to rent them for me without me being able to try them on. I'll be able to try them on before the hike...just not in the store so I can exchange them. I have a friend who does a lot of hiking in the snow out in Colorado with the Wilderness. Of course, it's a much dryer snow out there.

Quote:

Sounds iffy to me..................I personally wouldn't wear the Wilderness boots up there, at least not right now (was up there in that area just a couple of weeks ago and there was still a ton of snow). A good pair of leather mtneering boots would probably do, but then again, plastics would probably be that much better. Was on Shasta this past weekend, with leathers, and most were wearing plastics. I can honestly say that there were a few instances where I wouldn't have minded to have plastics, too. Bet your feet would get wet and cold, especially with the Norwegian welt, if you go with the Wilderness.

Quote:

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply