climbing mt. st. helens

9:22 p.m. on August 4, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Going out to climb mt. st. helens the 16th of august 2002.
would appreciate any helpful pointers or advice.
thanks,
mike allen
brunswick, ga. 31525

7:49 p.m. on August 5, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Um, avoid the rangers, usually stationed on the top of the climb, passionately. Or, just fork over your extra tax dollars and pay the 'whatever we're calling it today' access fee. You might be able to get away without paying for parking, if you're quick and lucky enough. Or have a government 'official biz' card/sticker.
Don't wear sandals on the climb. Big mistake. Running shoes still pick up lots of little rocks, too.
The daily access list for the climb is 'sold out' months before hand, but one can register for it earlier online. Probably not in the summer, though. There is (well, was) no last-minute registration if the online bookings are already full. In that case (like, a last-minute trip or something), have a good story for the gov't workers (who, although they totally knew what was going on, were cool enough, but still checked by radio on my supposed permit reservation), by signing up at the general store down the valley and playing it off like it was promised that everything was okay. Or something like that. And tell 'em that you are there for something other than recreation, like a spiritual revelation that made you go. Sometimes that slows them down in all fee and fee-demo areas.
YMMV.
Good luck. Have fun. It's a worthwhile climb, historically and aesthetically. It's ugly as sin, but completely worth it.
kelly

5:46 a.m. on August 7, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Kevin Rooney

Follow the link below - lots of good information. If you don't have a permit already you'll need to enter the lottery held at Jack's Store in Cougar each afternoon (and permits are often checked on the mountain by rangers). Many people car camp at the trailhead. All that info is detailed below.

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/mshnvm/climbing/

Kevin

Quote:

thanks,
mike allen
brunswick, ga. 31525

10:08 a.m. on August 29, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scott, Scott M

You can check out this website: http://www.megandmat.com/msh98.htm

I clibmed it on June 21st. You must have a permit...do you have one? When I climbed it the mountain was still almost completely covered in snow. We carried ice axes to use as walking sticks and brakes when we glissaded down (sliding on the snow). In August I'd be surprised if there was much snow. I'm sure there will be some but not a lot. A good hiking stick would come in handy. You will climb up about 5,000 vertical feet if you start at the climbers bivouac. I'd imagine you'll be hiking in a lot of scree. If you have gaiters I'd recommend wearing those. feel free to email me if you want more info or to see some of my pix. check out that guys website. It took us something like 5 hours to get to the top.

Quote:

thanks,
mike allen
brunswick, ga. 31525

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply