Is this Schoeller dryskin extreme stuff for real?

1:26 a.m. on August 19, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

So, I've hearing about this Schoeller dryskin stuff and wondering if this is for real? Is it really good at wicking away moisture and providing a wind-resistant, water-resistant function? I'm looking for a jacket and pants to add as a soft-shell/insulating layer if the stuff works? Who makes stuff with it and what items would you recommend?

7:04 a.m. on August 19, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

I own the MEC ferrata jacket and semi tights, both made from dryskin. It's an excellent fabric and easily replaces a light fleece or expedition weight underwear layer.I'm not sure about the soft shell thing (I'm primarily a backpacker- I don't go home when it rains), but used as your mid/base layers dryskin and it's clones are amazingly flexible being able to handle a wide range of temps and activity levels.

Last spring during a rain/snow storm in the Whites I wore a dryskin jacket for several hours of walking. It took about two hours for it to wet out. It was reasonably comfortable even then.

Many dryskin pieces seem to be rather pricey, except for the MEC pieces.

Quote:

So, I've hearing about this Schoeller dryskin stuff and wondering if this is for real? Is it really good at wicking away moisture and providing a wind-resistant, water-resistant function? I'm looking for a jacket and pants to add as a soft-shell/insulating layer if the stuff works? Who makes stuff with it and what items would you recommend?

11:14 p.m. on August 19, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

I have a pair of MEC Ferrata pants and the schoeller dryskin is by far the best for ski touring. The material does feel weird a bit like a pair of 60's pants. They are wind proof, water resistant breath amazingly. They are by far the best pant for ski touring in moderate winter climes. In colder temps I would wear lightweight fleece underneath.

4:14 p.m. on September 26, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

I agree, I have a pair of the Ferrata pants, and while climbing Stanley Pk. they worked great. Wicks well, breaths well, wind resistent + fairly water resistent. The pants are good, but like the other guy said, when the temp drops you'll want something suplimentary underneith.

9:48 a.m. on January 7, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Yes, the Schoeller stuff is one of those precious things that does what they say it does: it's completely windproof (long winter bike rides, drenched in sweat, on a windy Chicago lakefront at night are no problem), water-repellent, and reasonably warm. It also dries quickly, especially the newer models (I used a pair of Cloudveil pants made out of dryskin on a snowshoeing trip in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and the only time I got wet was when I sat on a patch of wet ice; even then I was dry in about an hour).

12:28 p.m. on February 11, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

I would check out Salomon's newest line of softshell stuff. Al ot of companies are using the polartech power stretch (mec has a few coats with it) but I think the real deal is with the schoeller. But salomons stuff seems pretty tight. Though, it is a heavier coat. Not mid layer, but mid, base, and outer layer. Maybe not too good for backpacking but good for snowey cold days on the mountain.

Quote:

I own the MEC ferrata jacket and semi tights, both made from dryskin. It's an excellent fabric and easily replaces a light fleece or expedition weight underwear layer.I'm not sure about the soft shell thing (I'm primarily a backpacker- I don't go home when it rains), but used as your mid/base layers dryskin and it's clones are amazingly flexible being able to handle a wide range of temps and activity levels.

Last spring during a rain/snow storm in the Whites I wore a dryskin jacket for several hours of walking. It took about two hours for it to wet out. It was reasonably comfortable even then.

Many dryskin pieces seem to be rather pricey, except for the MEC pieces.

Quote:

September 1, 2014
Quick Reply