About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Good 2nd ice/snow tool?

9:20 a.m. on September 16, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

What is recommended for a second tool to supplement a general mountaineering axe?

I would like something that is liteweight, inexpensive and versatile. A second tool to help on the steeper sections of NEI 2-3 type terrain.

10:17 a.m. on September 16, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

What is recommended for a second tool to supplement a general mountaineering axe?

I would like something that is liteweight, inexpensive and versatile. A second tool to help on the steeper sections of NEI 2-3 type terrain.

Unfortunately, lightweight and inexpensive usually don't go together. If you are going to use it on water ice 2-3, you will want something 45-55cm with a modular steel pick. My choice would be the DMM Raptor, which has interchange steel picks and is fairly light. This tool costs about $125 I think. Another more affordable option may be the discontinued The black diamond x-15. It also has interchange picks but is a little heavier than the DMM. These can usually be found used or on close out. Bent shafts are nice for steeper terrain, but will less effective if you need to plunge (self belay) the tool in steep snow. Stay away from ultralight ice axes with aluminum picks/heads. They are really light, but will just bounce or bend off anything other than soft snow.

9:30 p.m. on September 16, 2002 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
BD's Shrike...?

Quote:

Several models seem to be onsale right now. Saw a good deal on an older model Grivel in Sierra trading post?

Brian in SLC

7:09 a.m. on September 17, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Thanks guys

Quote:

8:47 a.m. on September 17, 2002 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
924 forum posts
X-15 or similar

I've been using a longer (55 cm) pair of BD X-15s in a lot of different situations. They climb moderate waterfall ice decently enough, and the length and straight shaft are reasonable for general snow/ice/glacier travel. As mentioned previously, they can be found pretty cheap on closeout these days. Not exactly lightwieght, but cheap and versitile.

10:32 a.m. on September 19, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Different opinion

I am a strong believer in matching like brand tools especialy if they have interchangable picks etc. Its hard enough to keep track of and find picks and bolts and wrenches for one type tool and having 2-3 different can be a nightmare. So in my opinion, its worth the extra $$.

Belay-Off
Ice Dawg
Commitment, Not Equipment - Unless you cant climb like me

April 23, 2014
Quick Reply