Aconcagua in Feb 2003

11:39 p.m. on September 26, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

We have a low cost organised trip on the normal route starting in mendoza on Feb 05, any interested members pls contact us direct for further information or check our site at: www.fieldtouring.com

11:35 a.m. on September 27, 2002 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
Define, "low cost"...

Quote:

We have a low cost organised trip on the normal route starting in mendoza on Feb 05, any interested members pls contact us direct for further information or check our site at: www.fieldtouring.com

Very easy peak logistically to do on your own.

2300 USD. Versus? 120 for permit. 150 for mules. Hotel in Mendoza? Hotel at trailhead? Food? Transport to/from Mendoza (or Santiago)?

Does seem like a cheaper price than most organized trips...

Interesting...

Brian in SLC

2:13 p.m. on September 27, 2002 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,622 reviewer rep
5,398 forum posts

USD2300 might be "low cost" if it includes airfare from the US. I note that the company is Australian. Since the price is quoted in both US and Aus dollars, I suspect that this is only land arrangements. I see the bit about requesting an information packet, but without knowing a lot more than the website gives about what the $2300 includes, I for one would hesitate to get my name on yet-another-mailing-list.

Once you get past the error in the link on the first page of the website and actually get to the Aconcagua trip, it says that you get a 5-star basecamp (What's that - a lodge with hot showers? not likely), and your choice of going up the hill with a guide, pairing up with someone else (and no guide), etc. No hint of a structured set of options - do you pay extra for the guide or get a discount if you choose to go with a hiking partner?

Far too many questions are left open. Brian is right - it's easy to go on your own. The website should tell at least basically what you get for the $2300.

December 28, 2014
Quick Reply