Mt Marcy-Winter

10:18 a.m. on October 17, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

While Mt Marcy may not be in the Alaska Range, Himalaya or Andes, it's all we have here. So, with that in mind does anyone have an experience and advice on going up Mt Marcy in winter?

1:47 p.m. on October 17, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Dick, Richard

I've been up in February when my thermometer read -15 degrees Fahrenheit in the Adirondack Loj parking lot at the bottom. I wore snowshoes and it took something under 5 hours to reach the top. There's a lot of traffic on the mountain, even in winter. It's a popular ski trip and the trails are generally pretty well packed. That said, it's not easy and with those temperatures the trip requires some care. Don't forget insulation for your water bottles. I've also been beaten down from the summit in May because of horrendous visibility.

2:29 p.m. on October 21, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Are the trails pack enough that you dont need snow shoes?

12:03 p.m. on October 22, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Regulations on skis and snowshoes

Check the park regulation on snowshoes or skis. I think they are required independent of the trail condition. Full crampons are high recommended for all summits. :-)

3:01 p.m. on October 23, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Excuse my ignorance here, but when attempting a winter summit snowshoe of Mt Marcy do I have to take any precautions regarding avalanche danger during late December on any part of the route up from the Adirondack Loj?

2:03 p.m. on October 24, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

Are the trails pack enough that you dont need snow shoes?

I believe Encon has a rule that states you'll need to have either snowshoes or ski's with you. I suppose you don't have to have them on but regardless of the rule, I wouldn't head into the High Peak's without one or the other. I happen to prefer snowshoes. - John Macri

3:10 p.m. on November 8, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Dick, Richard

No.

1:45 p.m. on August 28, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

I've never hiked it that late in December, but have done an early December hike several times. There has never been any avalanche danger. The trails are well marked, and my group has never used snowshoes or skiis. Bring a ski pole or hiking staff.

1:21 p.m. on November 7, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

No.

Will there be snow on the mountain?

4:50 p.m. on December 2, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Info on Climbing Mt. Marcy

I was wonder the same thing, does anyone know what the rating on the climb is to the peak of Marcy and a gearlist so I can verify with what I have. Thank you

1:34 p.m. on December 11, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Back side of Marcy will have lots of unpacked snow since most people ski/climb the front side. Crampoons are nice on the back side of Marcy, Colden and Algonquin. Water will freeze in your bottles very quickly. Weather above tree line can be very dangerous. One of my friends almost walked off of Algonquine because of a white out.

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply