Crampon Woes....

1:02 a.m. on November 29, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

I don't have alot of money. I don't have alot of ambition. I just want to improve. I currently own a pair of Cassin stepins that have dual horizontally stamped front points. I have climbed thin (November "Walk in the Forest" @ Frankenstein)WI 3 in them and since then, have wondered if I would see a great preformance differance between what I own and the new crampons. I have money to either upgrade my + 5 synthetic bag to a -5 down or buy the fancy crampons. Like I said I don't have high gaols of taking over the mixed championship but would like to solidly do WI 3+ by the end of this season. I get up North about 3-4 times for 4-6 climbing days each. Additionally I have the, "Its the caperenter no the tools syndrome." In light of these conditions, do you persons think that fancey crompons are a good purchase???

1:59 p.m. on November 29, 2001 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts
Crampons

Your Cassins are adequate for WI3 to 4. And yes, it's the carpenter, not the tools, that makes the most difference.

But since you are anxious to part with your cash, better crampons will be a whole bunch cheaper than a -5 down bag of decent quality. You can buy a couple pair of excellent crampons for a good, but not great, quality down bag. Like, get a pair of Sabretooths and a pair of Rambos. Then you have a good general-purpose pair that work on waterfalls and a waterfall-specific pair.

Hmmm, how about your boots? The boots can make a lot more difference than the crampons. Course, they are more like the price of a good -5 down bag.

Speaking of which, why do you want to get a down bag if you are doing ice climbing? Synth will be better for the wet conditions. And there isn't that much difference between +5 and -5 anyway. Just wear a heavier set of longjohns and fleece.

3:26 p.m. on November 29, 2001 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
Baggin' on ya now, Bill...

Quote:

But since you are anxious to part with your cash, better crampons will be a whole bunch cheaper than a -5 down bag of decent quality. You can buy a couple pair of excellent crampons for a good, but not great, quality down bag. Like, get a pair of Sabretooths and a pair of Rambos. Then you have a good general-purpose pair that work on waterfalls and a waterfall-specific pair.

Since BD has dropped the switchblade/mako whatever they were called (wow...brain freeze)...they should be on sale right now. I'll bet you can pick some up used or on sale pretty cheap. Not sure they'll make a huge diff. Several of my old partners kick my butt in their old footfangs...

Quote:

Speaking of which, why do you want to get a down bag if you are doing ice climbing? Synth will be better for the wet conditions. And there isn't that much difference between +5 and -5 anyway. Just wear a heavier set of longjohns and fleece.

Hmmm, Bill, at the -5 temp range, my vote is for a down bag. Lasts longer, lighter, more compressable. You been converted by the ice dawg now? Yer not gonna tell me you don't have or use a down bag in them temp ranges?

Not too "wet" at -5 F.....

For especially the rockies in the winter, make my bag outa down.

Brian in SLC

1:41 p.m. on November 30, 2001 (EST)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts
synth vs down

Well, when I take the Scouts out, I use the Bigfoot (synth, -5 or -10, I ferget). That's because adolescent males _will_ get wet, so we require them to use synth. And the adult leaders have to set the example, or else we get the "let us use _real_ bags". And sometimes I use it in Sierra and Cascade conditions down to 0. Again, that's because even at those temps, you can get a lot of wet in the Sierra and Cascades.

But true, I usually use my FF. Now the Rockies are dry cold, not like the Sierra. Same with Alaska Range, at least at altitudes above where the dawg likes to go. Remember he goes where there's lots of wet, drippy water ice.

My response to the poster was based on his making a choice between 'pons and a bag. Since he said he has a +5 synth bag, it makes more sense to me to spend the bucks on a $100 or $200 set of metal spikes than $500 to $1000 on a new down bag. But, hey, sounds like he has the gear now that will work, if'n he just gets out and climbs. He doesn't have to be a gear freak like you and me. But then, give him a season and he will outclimb either of us.

2:17 p.m. on November 30, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Not even thinking about upgrading my trusty....

X-15's! But I get a real good deal on Bags and have been all-conditions camping for a while now so I never crawl into my bag wet. For Ice it's usually base-camp style and I have enough clothes to never sleep wet (never say never:). I have other accomidations for the bivy situation so this is what has me thinking of sleeping bags.

2:33 p.m. on November 30, 2001 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
Eeeeeyaaahoooo.....

Quote:

Well, when I take the Scouts out, I use the Bigfoot (synth, -5 or -10, I ferget). That's because adolescent males _will_ get wet, so we require them to use synth.

Eeek. Not in my down bag you don't...!

Quote:

And the adult leaders have to set the example, or else we get the "let us use _real_ bags". And sometimes I use it in Sierra and Cascade conditions down to 0. Again, that's because even at those temps, you can get a lot of wet in the Sierra and Cascades.

Veddy veddy twoo.

Quote:

But true, I usually use my FF. Now the Rockies are dry cold, not like the Sierra. Same with Alaska Range, at least at altitudes above where the dawg likes to go. Remember he goes where there's lots of wet, drippy water ice.

And...even if/when up high or when its real cold, he'll still be usin' synth anyhoo.

Quote:

My response to the poster was based on his making a choice between 'pons and a bag. Since he said he has a +5 synth bag, it makes more sense to me to spend the bucks on a $100 or $200 set of metal spikes than $500 to $1000 on a new down bag.

Yeah, a quality down bag is worth a couple pair of new bionics...at least. Mebbie three. But...will last and last and last...

I'm figurin' if a feller is asking crampon upgrade versus minus 5 bag, then maybe a syn bag vs campon price is more in line. But...if I already had a +5 bag, and it was a heavy synthetic one, and I had a pair of old hurtin' crampons...hmmm...and money was an issue....hmmm...I'd make due until I found a used one of each... I'd still rather go down for the -5 use. Although...if I had a true +5 bag...I'd go for a deep freeze model, say a -20 or -30 and not an "inbetweeny" that is so close to a temp range I already have that, as you pointed out, could be doable with extra clothes or by stuffin' in a bivy sack or overbag.

Quote:

But, hey, sounds like he has the gear now that will work, if'n he just gets out and climbs. He doesn't have to be a gear freak like you and me. But then, give him a season and he will outclimb either of us.

Ahhhh...gear freaks anon, 12 step program...do I really need more ice tools than me and my 10 closest friends will use? Mebbie I need ice gear anon...

A season? Gimme a 100 yard head start and probably still make me look bad...

Hope we can hook up in Feb. As you musta heard, they's snow here now...(and folks are ice climbing too...).

Brian in SLC

7:24 a.m. on December 5, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Gear feaks unite...

Completely off topic, but have a look at this little beauty that I just acquired. I 'really' needed it for rescue work... couldn't resist!

The line "...designed by an aerospace engineer...' simultaneously provokes fear and inspires curiousity.

http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/spyderc/wrench.html

Quote:

-)

Macca

8:57 a.m. on December 5, 2001 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
Crikey, she's a beauty!

Quote:

Completely off topic, but have a look at this little beauty that I just acquired. I 'really' needed it for rescue work... couldn't resist!
The line "...designed by an aerospace engineer...' simultaneously provokes fear and inspires curiousity.
http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/spyderc/wrench.html

And...80 bones...wow, holy tool chest in yer hand batman...

You have? Nice nice?

Great share!

Brian in SLC

5:24 p.m. on December 12, 2001 (EST)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts
Gotta have it

but I don't think my treasurer will approve the impecunious pensioner getting another toy, having just acquired a new set of tele boards complete with bindings and skins. $80? Then again, it's not that much more than my Spyderco Rescue knife was. Muuch cooler than a Leatherman!

September 19, 2014
Quick Reply