alpine packs under 4 lbs.

11:30 p.m. on December 27, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. tony

I'm looking for a pack around 4000-4500cu in. vol. In the 4 lbs range. I've looked at the Kamsin 65, Mountain Tools Ultra Tamale, North Face Vapor. I now carry a cold cold world Chaos.I need something with more suspension.Any info on these packs or others? Thanks.

5:40 p.m. on December 29, 2002 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

Arc'teryx has excellent suspension.
if the size and weight work for you, definately take a closer look at one.

11:32 a.m. on December 30, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

I'm looking for a pack around 4000-4500cu in. vol. In the 4 lbs range. I've looked at the Kamsin 65, Mountain Tools Ultra Tamale, North Face Vapor. I now carry a cold cold world Chaos.I need something with more suspension.Any info on these packs or others? Thanks.

You've got many choices. TNF Thin Air (no longer made, but may be found used or on close out), TNF Prophet (new version of Thin Air). The X frame composite stays on these packs are very supportive and light. The Arc'teryx Khasmin 62 is also a nice choice, but quite expensive. Serratus (canadian) are great packs, light, and very affordable with the exchange rate. www.mec.ca sells them or check out http://www.serratus.com/packframe.html. Checkout the Icefall model.

5:18 p.m. on December 30, 2002 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
Serratus...

Quote:

I picked up an Arcteryx Khamsin 62 (?) last season. Did a couple of trips with it. Will have to say I'm more impressed with the suspension in the Serratus Icefall. I sometimes carry pretty heavy loads in a small day-and-a-half pack (rope/rack/water/etc) and really appreciate a bit better suspension.

Icefall in Long is 58L and 1.7kg. 58L = 3539cubes, btw...so, sorta close to what you're lookin' fer...

Brian in SLC

9:27 p.m. on January 2, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: Serratus...

Quote:

Icefall in Long is 58L and 1.7kg. 58L = 3539cubes, btw...so, sorta close to what you're lookin' fer...

I have the Serratus Icefall and it is a great pack. The size they list on their web site is the unexpanded size. The *regular* size expands to around 4,300 (if I remember correctly).

You can't beat the price on this pack either.

1:57 p.m. on January 3, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: alpine packs under 4 lbs.- second the Khamsin

Quote:

Arc'teryx has excellent suspension.
if the size and weight work for you, definately take a closer look at one.

Second that on the Khamsin- I've carried 60lbs+ a number of time in my Khamsin 62 and I find it more comfortable than my prior TNF Badlands. I love the Khamsin (although I wish it was a tad bigger for my uses)

Check out Climbing.com the equipment section. They did a review of light packs a few issues back that I found to be right on. I'm trying to score the Berghaus Extreme Expedition that weighs something like 3lbs, 14ozs while in the 5000cu in. range, but am having trouble finding soemone that distributes it to the US.

August 22, 2014
Quick Reply