Merrell Wilderness delamination

5:10 p.m. on January 20, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scott, Scott M

Well, my Merrell Wilderness finally delaminated after about 4 or 5 years. I've read this tends to happen with these boots. Anybody have experience with this? I've got Merrell's customer service number so I will call them to see if they'll just take care of me but I wanted to see if anybody on this list has gone through this already.

Thanks...Scott

10:49 p.m. on January 23, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

A legend in leather; a boot for a lifetime.

I hadn't heard of this boot but I did a google on it. The first site was Merrel's and I pulled this quote, "A legend in leather; a boot for a lifetime." The second was a review that said that roumor had it they tended to fall apart. This sucks.
My boots tend to last 5-8 years, but I don't resole or repair. So when I first read your post stating delam after 5 years I said to myself, "what's this person whining about?" But after the,"A legend in leather; a boot for a lifetime." I can understand where you are comming from.
IMHO, only fools, interested in shrot term gains would put," a boot for a lifetime" on their website.
Make those fools replace your boots!

8:00 a.m. on March 13, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Good Luck. My first set of Merrells had the same problem after only 2 years. I sent them in to be repaired, and the repair lasted a couple of months. I sent them in again, and they "downgraded" me to a cheaper boot because they didn't make the same model anymore. I gave the new pair away, because they were pretty flimsy and didn't look like they would hold up either. This climber will never own another pair of Merrells. Just one more item with hit-and-miss quality, IMO.

7:00 p.m. on May 23, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

MY MERRELL WILDERNESS BOOTS. what a piece of shit. Wolverine Worldwide bought MERRELL and repairs are not done at all. MY soles were flapping in the front. all the way down to the middle of the boot. I wear mine everyday, so I finally brought them into a VIBRAM resole shop. He says they can not be resoled, the rubber mid sole is falling off the boot itself. This would have been my first resole. I called wolverine and finally got a human from the Merrell cubicle of wolverine. I sent my boots in and still have heard nothing. I got a phone call from them recently, but did not touch base yet. I am sure they are not calling to say they are sending my new boots out for free. I should have just bought the scarpa rio boots, like I am going to now. If you read this before buying a pair of MERRELL WILDERNESS, DO NOT BUY THEM. They are worth it if you get them somehow for under 100 bucks. I only had mine under a year.

11:09 a.m. on September 5, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

First of all I need to state that I have been wearing these boots in heavy duty commercial service for over 10 years now and they are great. I have 2 pairs. The posts above are pure whining bull. I have had the sole start to delaminate and all it takes is a few drops of super glue to fix it. No different than other type boots and shoes. Have never had it come free again after that. Easy. As far as Merrell service just get a hold of them and they will take care of you. I have sent boots in and they were repaired fast at no charge. Very nice service and treatment of the customer if you ask me. As far as them not making them anymore/total bull again. And I have had them resoled 3 times with no problem which is expected with a Norweigan welt hiking boot. If that guy had a guy tell him they cant be resoled then the repair shop should be in a new business. If you want to buy some modern piece of crap go ahead but if you want a quality handmade Italian leather boot buy this one or another like it from another manufacturer. I have the Scarpas too. The Wilderness is a good boot. Stop crying and deal with it.

Later
Glenn

7:18 a.m. on October 31, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: A legend in leather; a boot for a lifetime.

WoW! I think all this may depend on how heavy you are...I can not figure what people are complaining about...I have bought 2 pairs over the years(4) ...So what if they don't last a lifetime? What shoe does? Besides Loving how they react on trails, I love the way these look! Very Retro...Defiantly European in look and I love that I can use cramp ons with them. I know several people who own these as well...and I have not heard any complaints...Perhaps Merrell had a bad run a few years back...I don't know what to say...they have a warranty.

7:19 a.m. on October 31, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: A legend in leather; a boot for a lifetime.

WoW! I think all this may depend on how heavy you are...I can not figure what people are complaining about...I have bought 2 pairs over the years(4) ...So what if they don't last a lifetime? What shoe does? Besides Loving how they react on trails, I love the way these look! Very Retro...Defiantly European in look and I love that I can use cramp ons with them. I know several people who own these as well...and I have not heard any complaints...Perhaps Merrell had a bad run a few years back...I don't know what to say...they have a warranty.

1:57 a.m. on November 5, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

I Love these Shoes! If you had a problem, maybe you should of called Merrell...they have a great warranty. Anyway, my Merrell Wilderness boots have gone the distance! All the way from my car to the grocery store, up Mt.Hood, Several Mountains in the East....Best of all...These are real boots. Totally retro, simply cool. They have a very European look to them...The way boots should look like. You can use crampons for the ice and snow.. They feel great on (I have sprayed a little water repellant on them, and added in insert) But I have had them for over 4 years! Some friends who saw my shoes, bought them as well...Too bad for me, I like walking feet first.

1:58 a.m. on November 5, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

I Love these Shoes! If you had a problem, maybe you should of called Merrell...they have a great warranty. Anyway, my Merrell Wilderness boots have gone the distance! All the way from my car to the grocery store, up Mt.Hood, Several Mountains in the East....Best of all...These are real boots. Totally retro, simply cool. They have a very European look to them...The way boots should look like. You can use crampons for the ice and snow.. They feel great on (I have sprayed a little water repellant on them, and added in insert) But I have had them for over 4 years! Some friends who saw my shoes, bought them as well...Too bad for me, I like walking feet first.

1:00 p.m. on February 16, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

I have owned two pairs of Merrell Wilderness boots starting in 1985. While they fit me great, they have both had delamination problems. In talking to other owners, I have found that problem is more the norm than the exception. The silly part is the warranty is only good for a year (since I last looked). Warranties on boots should be based on a combination of years and treadwear since some of us only wear them on backpacking and hiking vacations.

August 30, 2014
Quick Reply