About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Snowboard helmet for mountaineering?

4:49 p.m. on January 22, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Karl, urbansherpa

I believe in the right tool for the job, but....
Can you use a snowboard helmet for mountaineering?

I've read many posts about mountaineering helmets, and what NOT to do.

The helmet I have has a 2mm ABS shell (very tough stuff, hard to penetrate) with a 2cm polystyrene liner (as do some name brand climbing helmets). My helmet has a proper strap system, and fits perfectly. My goggles, and headlamp fit well, too.

While I wouldn't use a thin-shelled, penetrable bike helmet for climbing, I'd like to know why you wouldn't use a snowboard helmet. It looks every bit as functional, and safe.

Afterall, no one would carry two helmets up a mountain.

Thanks to all who give valid input,
-Karl

7:43 p.m. on January 22, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

2 reasons, but not an answer

My thoughts:
1 - you'll get mighty warm hiking and climbing in it, and you'll either want to wear it or not want to bother with it - and if you don't want to bother, why carry one at all? The insulation in my Boeri shorty (styrofoam) is great on really cold days, but it just doesn't provide the ventilation I find I need mountaineering. It's only for the absolute coldest, windiest, snowiest mountaineering for me - 14k in the dead of winter, in a storm.

2 - they're not built for the impact of falling objects, one primary reason for wearing a helmet climbing/mountaineering. They are built for relatively low-impact events like bonking a tree or the snow at 40mph, from six feet up (a normal height, say). Ski helmets distribute the force to a wider area of the head more than protecting from something like a rock falling on you. I've seen a Petzl helmet (on a guy) hit by a rock from 150'; the helmet deformed with the impact, and bounced back. The guy went down like a sack o' potatoes, but got back up with a nasty headache. I think a ski helmet would have cracked in two and we'd have had an evac on our hands.

YMMV. I do still use my Boeri sometimes in the mountains, though. Risk assessment and mitigation, follow what you think you know of the area and objective hazards, and weigh your decisions. Good luck!

tradkelly
http://www.geocities.com/tradkelly

9:10 p.m. on February 27, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

I have used my Boeri snowboarding helmet for ice climbing and found it quite good (it saved my skull from a nasty fall on rocks), however you don't get the same freedom of movement and ventilation you get with (eg) a Petzl Ecrin Roc...then again if you are climbing the mountain to ride back down I wouldn't want to be riding in a climbing helmet as they have (in most models) no side impact protection and would probably flop around considerably.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

I believe in the right tool for the job, but....
Can you use a snowboard helmet for mountaineering?

I've read many posts about mountaineering helmets, and what NOT to do.

The helmet I have has a 2mm ABS shell (very tough stuff, hard to penetrate) with a 2cm polystyrene liner (as do some name brand climbing helmets). My helmet has a proper strap system, and fits perfectly. My goggles, and headlamp fit well, too.

While I wouldn't use a thin-shelled, penetrable bike helmet for climbing, I'd like to know why you wouldn't use a snowboard helmet. It looks every bit as functional, and safe.

Afterall, no one would carry two helmets up a mountain.

Thanks to all who give valid input,
-Karl

April 21, 2014
Quick Reply