Attaching gear loops to hipbelt?

3:02 p.m. on February 11, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Hung, Hung Ly, hyhuu

Hi,
Anyone got idea(s) where to buy gear loops and how to attache them to the backpack hipbelt? I intend to use my current backpack for alpine climb this summer in conjunction with the Alpine Bod harness (no gear loop). Thanks.

4:20 p.m. on February 11, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

On the harness.

I've had this question before myself. I 'solved' the problem, before upgrading to a better harness and just accepting the extra weight, by using 550 cord (nylon parachute line) through the miniscule little loops on the harness and inserting sections of IV tubing (you can find similar at Home Depot) to make loops that sorta kinda bend right to hold gear.

It's hard to really trust them to hold a lot of weight, but with good knots and a wee bit of nylon melting with a lighter you can make something halfway functional. If you just use the paracord or 5mm spectra as the loop, traditional biners get hung up every time.

Sorry, no ideas without major sewing mods for the backpack-mounted loops. :)

tradkelly
http://www.geocities.com/tradkelly

Quote:

Hi,
Anyone got idea(s) where to buy gear loops and how to attache them to the backpack hipbelt? I intend to use my current backpack for alpine climb this summer in conjunction with the Alpine Bod harness (no gear loop). Thanks.

7:20 p.m. on February 11, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

Hi,
Anyone got idea(s) where to buy gear loops and how to attache them to the backpack hipbelt? Thanks.

Just get some webbing and a speedy stitcher sewing tool and sew on your own loops. I've modified many hipbelts with this tool and it works great. I've never had a failure of a properly sewn stitch with the speedy stitcher in 17 years of using it.

1:25 p.m. on February 17, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Trad _Guy

Quote:

Hi,

Hello HungLi-
Go to http://www.traditionalmountaineering.org/Photos_Harness_sm.htm to see what I do.

I am not a sport climber so weight and packed size make a big difference. Also, I don't worry about desperately needing gear on my harness, but the iv tube does help (I have it on my second BD Alpine Bod, an extra large for fat winter clothing).

I think this page links to some narrative discussion of the Alpine Bod. Hope this helps you-
--trad_guy

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply