Black Diamond Ice Glove

3:45 p.m. on February 25, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

I recently bought a pair of BD Ice Gloves at REI. My gloves did not come with any sort of removable liner; however, the specs suggest that they do have a removable liner. What's the scoop? Did I get cheated out of a liner? They're fully lined in fleece so they feel fine without it. Just curious...

ts

12:10 a.m. on February 26, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Yes

Yes they do seem to have a liner. Take them back or call BD.

8:53 a.m. on February 26, 2003 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
Used to, not any more

Quote:

I recently bought a pair of BD Ice Gloves at REI. My gloves did not come with any sort of removable liner; however, the specs suggest that they do have a removable liner. What's the scoop? Did I get cheated out of a liner? They're fully lined in fleece so they feel fine without it. Just curious...

Latest model does NOT come with a removable liner (shoeller outer?). Older models did come with one, but, was a pain to deal with (if you were climbing, and pulled your hand out of the glove, the liner could wad up and be hard to get back into the fingers).

Brian in SLC

3:35 p.m. on February 26, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: Used to, not any more

That's kind of what I suspected. Which is cool, b/c I'm not a big fan of removable liners anyway. Thanks!

Todd

Quote:

Quote:

Latest model does NOT come with a removable liner (shoeller outer?). Older models did come with one, but, was a pain to deal with (if you were climbing, and pulled your hand out of the glove, the liner could wad up and be hard to get back into the fingers).

Brian in SLC

3:30 p.m. on February 27, 2003 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,392 forum posts
Re: Used to, not any more

I was looking for new gloves abt a year ago and considered the Ice Glove. Like you, I was baffled by the hang tag matrix that indicated that the Ice had a removeable liner (I happen to like removeable liners in certain uses), but the glove I had in/on my hand had an obviously sewn in liner. I got a chance later to ask BD, and they said they removeable liner got sewn 2 model years ago (as Brian said and for the reasons he said). The first sewn in version was some different outer, but the next and current ones use Schoeller. I was in Western Mtnr in San Jose about the day that Marmot decided they were going to close that store (closing for good in late April), so managed to snag one of the current model (Schoeller shell) for half the list price. I wanted a Guide, but they were gone an hour or so before I got there.

So you know my uses for removeable liners, I have much warmer than average hands, so when I am working hard on ice, skiing, glacier strolls, and esp. digging snow shelters and building wind walls, I get the liners very wet from sweat. So I like to change the liners every so often. Liners dry a whole bunch faster out of the glove than an all-in-one glove like the Ice or the usual ski glove. On the other hand, if I am just cruising up some WI1 with Brian on the top end of the rope, so I can relax, sewn in liners are just fine.

10:43 p.m. on February 27, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Whoops

Quote:

Yes they do seem to have a liner. Take them back or call BD.

12:50 p.m. on March 2, 2003 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts
removeable liners = trash

I Hate these gloves - never have worn them, too uncomfortable and the removeable liners don't even seem to work well at home. I wonder how long it takes to break in a pair of these? Maybe if I climbed WI I would wear them. Or if I was a dog musher?

If it were me, I'd carry a separate pair of gloves for camp chores and save the big guys for the nasty stuff.
Jim S

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply