SKI IGNORANT

1:20 a.m. on November 27, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

I come from Maryland, as a consequence I know little about sking. I know down-hill but nothing else. About 6 years ago, in highschool, I went downhilling, locally in PA; Four years later I would realize that my first discouraging ski outing was like tring to ski on Neve to Boiler plate on the slopes of Mt. Washington.
So I have been curious when I see ski aproachers when I go to the Huntington Ravine and other remote destinations for climbing. They seem to move much faster. Please tell me all you can about the ways to approach this skill and the different techniques and benifets.
This is alot to ask so thanks!

9:45 a.m. on November 27, 2001 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
Read..."Wild Snow"

Quote:

I come from Maryland, as a consequence I know little about sking. I know down-hill but nothing else. About 6 years ago, in highschool, I went downhilling, locally in PA; Four years later I would realize that my first discouraging ski outing was like tring to ski on Neve to Boiler plate on the slopes of Mt. Washington.
So I have been curious when I see ski aproachers when I go to the Huntington Ravine and other remote destinations for climbing. They seem to move much faster. Please tell me all you can about the ways to approach this skill and the different techniques and benifets.

...by Lou Dawson. Might try the local library...also othe titles like the Sierra Club Ski Mountaineering tome by David Brower. Good stuff...

Its, "that time"...

Brian in SLC

10:23 a.m. on November 28, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

similar trial and error

had some generally similar experiences. i gumbied in a few years ago. a lighter look:
http://bansheewerks.com/mikey/climbing/essays/see_gumby_ski.shtml

wild snow is good, yep.
also try, allen & mike's backcountry books.

excellent article in climbing 191? (alex lowe memorial) about ski mountaineering from a climber's standpoint. oh, hey, here it is: http://climbing.com/Pages/icecraft/Ski/icecraft-ski.html

couloir and backcountry magazines are good.
couloirmag.com's disco forum is good.
rec.skiing.backcountry.

best,
mkg

12:22 a.m. on November 29, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Cardinal Rule

Quote:

Please tell me all you can about the ways to approach this skill and the different techniques and benifets.

Just make sure it's telemark.
Donning,
Christian :?)
"have you skied pow today?"

July 28, 2014
Quick Reply