Beware - a defective ROPE!!!

2:44 a.m. on June 5, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. neal

I purchased a Bluewater Accelerator 10mm rope - used ~10 times. It was the most horrendously stiff rope I have ever used. It required constant flaking and uncoiling in order to adequately belay someone. On more then one occasion, I had to ask the leader or second to anchor mid-pitch so either myself or they could untie in order to relax the rope to belay them at all. This was clearly a potentially lethal situation. This rope's stiffness never decreased through use or proper care and belaying was actually dangerous.

I sent the rope back to Bluewater requesting a refund. There was no reply for 4 weeks; I then called customer service at least 12 times before reaching someone. I was informed the rope's stiffness must have been because of something I had done and that they were sending the rope back to me. When I tried to understand why they were not standing behind their product they hung up on me (this person at Bluewater turned out to be the company president). Very professional.

In summary, i would be very suspect of purchasing a Bluewater rope - not to mention the horrible way they treat the average climber who simply wants a useful rope.

6:12 p.m. on June 5, 2003 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
Had good luck m'self...

Quote:

I purchased a Bluewater Accelerator 10mm rope - used ~10 times. It was the most horrendously stiff rope I have ever used. It required constant flaking and uncoiling in order to adequately belay someone. On more then one occasion, I had to ask the leader or second to anchor mid-pitch so either myself or they could untie in order to relax the rope to belay them at all. This was clearly a potentially lethal situation. This rope's stiffness never decreased through use or proper care and belaying was actually dangerous.

Strange, I've had several Bluewater ropes and they've all had quite soft "hand".

I wonder if the way you're feeding the rope thru your belay device might be imparting a twist and making the rope seem stiffer? Dunno. Sounds wierd.

Quote:

I sent the rope back to Bluewater requesting a refund. There was no reply for 4 weeks; I then called customer service at least 12 times before reaching someone.

Did you get an "RA" (return authorization) prior to shipping the rope back? If not, then it may not have been a priority as it arrived unannounced on the doorstep. And...maybe they weren't psyched to have to ship it back to you on their nickel.

>I was informed the rope's stiffness must have been because of something I had done and that they were sending the rope back to me. When I tried to understand why they were not standing behind their product they hung up on me (this person at Bluewater turned out to be the company president). Very professional.

Aha...good ol' Scott. I hope he never changes. I'd take brutal honesty over a fluffy snow job any ol' day. Although, maybe they were short staffed that day/week/month.

Quote:

In summary, i would be very suspect of purchasing a Bluewater rope - not to mention the horrible way they treat the average climber who simply wants a useful rope.

Like said, I've had several Bluewater ropes, both dynamic and static. No problemo and I've been impressed with their durability and "hand". One item I've really grown to like is their version of a rabbit runner, the Titan webbing with loops sewn on the ends. Perfecto for mini web-o-lette action and for quick slinging around blocks. Also works pretty well as a French braid in a pinch.

I've had great service from Bluewater. Sorry you didn't.

Brian in SLC

6:43 p.m. on June 5, 2003 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,255 forum posts
agree with Brian

We use Bluewater ropes in quantity in our camp climbing programs. They stand up to the heavy use/abuse very well. Also agree with Brian that they have a soft hand. You say you used it abt 10 times. What sort of usage? How did you store it and transport it (temperature, humidity, etc)? What was the time period? Did you leave it hanging for any length of time in direct sunlight (how long - days, weeks, year??)? Any falls, long rappels?

7:52 p.m. on June 5, 2003 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
Wet then sun dry?

Quote:

We use Bluewater ropes in quantity in our camp climbing programs. They stand up to the heavy use/abuse very well. Also agree with Brian that they have a soft hand. You say you used it abt 10 times. What sort of usage? How did you store it and transport it (temperature, humidity, etc)? What was the time period? Did you leave it hanging for any length of time in direct sunlight (how long - days, weeks, year??)? Any falls, long rappels?

Seems like I've got a rope wet before and it dryed in the sun. Got pretty stiff until I broke it in again. Hmmm...(rereadin' the thread about the rain storm in Red Rocks makes me wonder...)...

Maxim, New England...seems like their ropes are stiffer. Whatever they've been usin' in the gym lately is stiff too...to the point where feedin' the rope rubs a fair amount of skin off after a while...hmmm...

Brian in SLC

4:58 p.m. on June 6, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. neal
disagree with Brian

No, this was completely normal use: NO falls, basic / easy trad climbing, absolute normal wear - definitely no temp extremes / wetness; stored in closet in rope-bag; really careful handling. This was simply a crap rope; and i was treated like real crap by the company.


Quote:

We use Bluewater ropes in quantity in our camp climbing programs. They stand up to the heavy use/abuse very well. Also agree with Brian that they have a soft hand. You say you used it abt 10 times. What sort of usage? How did you store it and transport it (temperature, humidity, etc)? What was the time period? Did you leave it hanging for any length of time in direct sunlight (how long - days, weeks, year??)? Any falls, long rappels?

8:21 a.m. on June 8, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. neal
many others have not "Had good luck..."

Have been polling folks at the crags and local gym and many others have had simliar bad experiences with their ropes -
hence, why buy a Bluewater when you can buy Sterling, Black Diamond, Mammut, Beal, ...not to mention Bluewater's terrible customer service

 

terrible: : I purchased a Bluewater Accelerator 10mm rope - used ~10 times. It was the most horrendously stiff rope I have ever used. It required constant flaking and uncoiling in order to adequately belay someone. On more then one occasion, I had to ask the leader or second to anchor mid-pitch so either myself or they could untie in order to relax the rope to belay them at all. This was clearly a potentially lethal situation. This rope's stiffness never decreased through use or proper care and belaying was actually dangerous.

Quote:

Strange, I've had several Bluewater ropes and they've all had quite soft "hand".

I wonder if the way you're feeding the rope thru your belay device might be imparting a twist and making the rope seem stiffer? Dunno. Sounds wierd.

Quote:

I sent the rope back to Bluewater requesting a refund. There was no reply for 4 weeks; I then called customer service at least 12 times before reaching someone.

Did you get an "RA" (return authorization) prior to shipping the rope back? If not, then it may not have been a priority as it arrived unannounced on the doorstep. And...maybe they weren't psyched to have to ship it back to you on their nickel.

>I was informed the rope's stiffness must have been because of something I had done and that they were sending the rope back to me. When I tried to understand why they were not standing behind their product they hung up on me (this person at Bluewater turned out to be the company president). Very professional.

Aha...good ol' Scott. I hope he never changes. I'd take brutal honesty over a fluffy snow job any ol' day. Although, maybe they were short staffed that day/week/month.

Quote:

In summary, i would be very suspect of purchasing a Bluewater rope - not to mention the horrible way they treat the average climber who simply wants a useful rope.

Like said, I've had several Bluewater ropes, both dynamic and static. No problemo and I've been impressed with their durability and "hand". One item I've really grown to like is their version of a rabbit runner, the Titan webbing with loops sewn on the ends. Perfecto for mini web-o-lette action and for quick slinging around blocks. Also works pretty well as a French braid in a pinch.

I've had great service from Bluewater. Sorry you didn't.

Brian in SLC

11:35 p.m. on June 18, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Deficive!?????????? (SP)

Hello, I visit this site infrequently. I spell badly. Life is short and interpretive.
You seem to have problems with your rope. Bummer. I bought 2 doubles from BW 2 years ago, single pick sheath, the yellow in the blue rope was raised at the time of purchace; I suspected a wear problem to occur. It did but I fell on my pink rope more often. The Tao equals all. (for me)
You still have not explored publicly what you could've done wrong with your rope: belay, drying etc..
Did you buy it from REI or EMS? They seem to have a 100% satisfaction thingie'.
Companies like BW are small. I run a gym and have found that bugging by phone is not bugging them. If you want something from my overpopulated plate the sad reality is that you must be the squeeky wheel.
They are nice people, I've found that if you explain your problem to someome; in an kind and understanding way. They will understand you.
Call them, the last thing thay want to do is make sucky ropes, tell them your problem. The whole deal so that you and they can learn to use and make better ropes. The last thing they want is to make bad ropes or have someone saying that their ropes are bad on "x" number of forums.
Bi&@#$ng about their service to them will do a whole lot more than bi@#hing to us.
Ps: I've heard some of my guide friends saying that the euro ropes are better but in my personal and professional climbing I have foumd no equal.
Best of luck. Chao!

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply

Please sign in to reply

 
More Topics
This forum: Older: Which canister fuel type is best for low temps? Newer: Cannon Mtn (NH) Route Condx
All forums: Older: San Jacinto Wilderness trip Newer: Rain and the Eureka Zeus 2 Exo tent......