Tri Cams?

6:30 p.m. on July 25, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Did a route the other day and found a Tri-Cam stuck at the belay on the first pitch. It was solid, so I used it as part of my anchor. Noticed on the second pitch a few places where I might have liked to try to put in a Tri-Cam. Haven't used them before. What do you folks think about them and what sizes do you have and use most?

11:24 a.m. on July 26, 2003 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,298 forum posts
Tri Cams

If you learn to place them properly, they are an excellent, solid passive piece. There are a few things you should know about placing them that are best learned with an experienced mentor demonstrating, and on the deck so you can bounce on them safely to see what works and what doesn't (sounds like the thing for any pro, doesn't it?).

I mostly use the larger sizes, mainly because they are a lightweight way of protecting larger cracks. The smaller sizes are solid chunks of aluminum and are heavier for the crack size than "plain" chocks. Because TriCams do not have moving pieces, they do not have the tendency to "walk" like the larger Cam-A-Lot/Friends type of pro. Again, though, like any passive pro, you do have to learn to place them properly. You can't use the casual, sloppy, quick shove it in a crack any crack that so many people tend to use for Friends (which also doesn't really make for good pro, but people get away with much more sloppy technique with active cams).

You should have been able to get that stuck TriCam out. There are a number of techniques for freeing them, even when pretty solidly in there. You do have to replace the webbing every so often, like any fabric. The general rule of thumb of 4 years or after hard falls that applies to ropes and slings is a good one to follow here as well (except stuck pieces that you scavenge that have gotten sun on them, which rots the webbing quickly).

4:26 p.m. on July 28, 2003 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
Love to hate 'em...

Quote:

What do you folks think about them and what sizes do you have and use most?

The smallest pink one used to be a coveted piece of gear for thin pin scars...

I used to like them, but, they are a real pain to clean especially if they have been set hard. So, for movin' fast, I think regular stoppers and cams are faster.

For pro between icey rock bits, they are purported to excell, as that pivot point bites well. I'd think for mixed climbing in icey rock, etc, they'd be great.

I don't typically rack them. I probably only own the three smallest sizes. I toss them in for some ice climbing daze sometimes...

Brian in SLC

9:37 p.m. on August 12, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

Did a route the other day and found a Tri-Cam stuck at the belay on the first pitch. It was solid, so I used it as part of my anchor. Noticed on the second pitch a few places where I might have liked to try to put in a Tri-Cam. Haven't used them before. What do you folks think about them and what sizes do you have and use most?

Soo good 4 diagnal and horizontal cracks you should look 4 deep cracks. the best way to retreve them is by using your nut tool and give them a little push to budge the camming action then it should be a little easyer to get them out. have fun

6:19 p.m. on August 13, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

I love em...

Have used them a lot especially in soft rock where they really excel.

I have a full rack of them but the larger ones are real 'cow bells' and I'm always just a bit wary of racking the biggy as I have visions of impaling myself on the spike.

have taken some of my biggest falls onto these and never had a problem. I especially love the 3 smallest sizes for funky holes/placements and on aid.

Don't like cleaning 'em Brian. Lead when you've got them racked!

Cheers,

Macca

9:27 p.m. on September 30, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

love/hate relationship

I have the 3 smallest. I find myself using the pink one (the very smallest) MUCH more then the others, but to e honest I don't use it all that much. When I was learning to lead, I never got comfortable with tri-cams until after I bought my own. A well-placed tri-cam is bomber, but it's always seemed to me that tri-cams are much easier to misplace then SCLDs or chocks.

Lately I've started thinking about removing them from my rack most of the time, or maybe just carrying the pink one.

September 30, 2014
Quick Reply