About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Hoods and helmets

10:03 p.m. on September 22, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. lelitsch

My try at the stupid question of the year award. Why do people wear hoods over their climbing helmets? And why do manufacturers size for it? In my experience one is almost always better off wearing the hood under the helmet. It fits closer, you don't get wet as easily, and you don't rip the hood when the helmet hits or scrapes something.

Some potential reasons I could think of is that one might stay cooler and that hearing might a bit better. Or that the chin strap fits a bit more securely, although that hasn't been my experience with a well fitted helmet.

8:55 a.m. on September 23, 2003 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
1 over the other....

Quote:

My try at the stupid question of the year award. Why do people wear hoods over their climbing helmets? And why do manufacturers size for it? In my experience one is almost always better off wearing the hood under the helmet. It fits closer, you don't get wet as easily, and you don't rip the hood when the helmet hits or scrapes something.

I'll take a stab (not really a bad question...!)...

Because, when you're climbing, you'll have your helmit on and not necessarily the hood or the jacket. If you need to add a layer, voila, you don't need to take off your helmit. Helmits have holes. Helmits also seem to be sized for wearing with minimal underneath. For thermo regulating, I'd prefer the helmit under the hood option (ala belay jacket).

Thats my guess...

Brian in SLC

9:56 a.m. on September 23, 2003 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
924 forum posts

I've never considered hood under helmet to be very practical. Mostly because it requires taking the helmet off, fiddling with the straps (possibly removing gloves to do so) -- then reversing the whole process to take the hood back off. If you're adding/removing layers at every belay, that adds up to a fair amount of time without the helmet protecting your noggin.

With hood over helmet, you can pull the hood on or off quickly as conditions demand (heavy spindrift? hood on; straining to hear what your partner is yelling? hood off) with one (gloved) hand. And you're not risking getting caught by ice or rockfall with your helmet off.

6:40 p.m. on September 29, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

What's a helmit? (nt)

Quote:

Quote:

I'll take a stab (not really a bad question...!)...

Because, when you're climbing, you'll have your helmit on and not necessarily the hood or the jacket. If you need to add a layer, voila, you don't need to take off your helmit. Helmits have holes. Helmits also seem to be sized for wearing with minimal underneath. For thermo regulating, I'd prefer the helmit under the hood option (ala belay jacket).

Thats my guess...

Brian in SLC

April 17, 2014
Quick Reply