Outdoor Research Hard and Soft Shells

6:49 p.m. on December 6, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

I just checked out OR's website to look at some of their mitts, and I noticed that they sell a wide range of technical clothing too. Their soft shell Hermes Tech Pant, and their Gore Tex bib looked especially interesting (probably because I am currently on the market for new pants/bibs). Has anyone used OR apparel (besides gloves, hats, and gaiters)?

9:08 p.m. on December 6, 2003 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,363 forum posts

I haven't used the OR clothing in the field, but have gotten the chance to take a good close look at it. My impression is that it is well made (like their gloves, hats, and gaiters, which I have used for a number of years in BC skiing and high altitude climbing, such as in the Alaska Range). The fabric is basically the same as the other quality manufacturers use and says it comes from the same fabric manufacturers. It isn't US-made, if that makes a difference (same with most these days). The Hermes pant looked comparable to others. The bibs aren't quite what I am looking for to replace my current ones as they wear out, but that's more a matter of styling (I want certain features that aren't in the OR bib - kinda restricts my choices to a couple manufacturers - but you may prefer their layout).

Given their other stuff that I have used, I would expect their clothing to hold up well.

11:26 a.m. on December 7, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Thanks for the insight Bill, do you have any recommendations a particular pant and/or bib?

November 28, 2014
Quick Reply