About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

4 seasons tents

5:24 p.m. on April 14, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

I am looking for a lightweight 4 seasons tent for 2 , i am going to use it in the Andes (Venezuela, ecuador, peru, bolivia).Bibler tent's are not an option. what brand and model do you recommend me ?. Thanks.

7:38 p.m. on April 14, 2004 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,234 reviewer rep
5,182 forum posts

Jose,

When you say -

Quote:

....Bibler tent's are not an option.

what is the reason - cost, no local dealer, or what?

Second question - how lightweight?

Another related question - do you require double-wall (that is, with a fly), or is single-wall acceptable (is that why you reject Bibler, perhaps)?

And another related question - do you require an expedition tent (for example, for use high in the Andes where you will encounter storms and strong winds) or will a 3-season tent do? The lightest expedition, double wall tents for two are 7 pounds and more. Single-wall expedition tents for 2 can be under 5 pounds.

Another question - how much room do you require? For example, are you planning on bringing the gear inside the tent with you, cooking in the tent, or just squeezing two very friendly climbers inside and leaving the gear outside (or in a vestibule)?

If you hadn't rejected Biblers, I would have suggested that there are several of their models and the very similar Integral Designs tents that you should look at. Last year, we used a TNF Tadpole at 16,000 ft on Orizaba on a very windy night, and found it worked quite well without being too heavy. We did keep most of the gear in the vestibules and cooked in the lee-side vestibule.

9:14 p.m. on April 14, 2004 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
98 forum posts
ahwanee and i-tent on sale

As a follow-up to Bill S's post, mountaingear has both the 2003 ahwanee and the 2003 i-tent on sale right now. Still not cheap, but cheaper.

Link is here: http://www.mgear.com/Pages/GearList/GLProdList2.asp/GLId/173/GLName/Featured+Tents+and+Sleeping+Bags+on+Sale

Personally, I love my old integral designs mkII, even for the weenie-grade camping I do.

6:23 a.m. on April 16, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

Jose,

When you say -

Quote:

....Bibler tent's are not an option.

what is the reason - cost, no local dealer, or what?

i live in venezuela, we only have here dealer for salewa an vaude, i am going to buy my tent online in REI or Summit Hut, i was looking for a tent to use it to climb 6000 mts peaks in the andes, but, eventually, i want a tent for doing everything and going everywhere, i know it

9:07 a.m. on April 16, 2004 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
Try MEC for double wall tents...

Quote:

i live in venezuela, we only have here dealer for salewa an vaude, i am going to buy my tent online in REI or Summit Hut, i was looking for a tent to use it to climb 6000 mts peaks in the andes, but, eventually, i want a tent for doing everything and going everywhere, i know it

1:03 p.m. on April 16, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

http://www.thetentstore.com/eureka!_alpenlite_2xt_04_tents.htm

Unusually well made for an Eureka tent and cheaper than most 3-4 season model. Just google for more dealers and user reviews.

Also look at www.mec.ca, then click on "gear swap", may be you can find some solid 4 seasons for less $.

11:41 p.m. on May 25, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Randy Nelson
Re: 4 seasons tents-Hilleberg tents

Quote:

I am looking for a lightweight 4 seasons tent for 2 , i am going to use it in the Andes (Venezuela, ecuador, peru, bolivia).Bibler tent's are not an option. what brand and model do you recommend me ?. Thanks.

I would look into a Hilleberg. They have a great website www.hilleberg.com and ship worldwide from either the US or Sweden. I and several friends personally have used both the Namatj and the one person AKTO and find them to be superbly ventilated even in the maritime climate of the Pacific Northwest US. The 2 person Namatj has a great vestibule and the weights listed on the Hilleberg website for their tents are accurate.

9:47 a.m. on June 18, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: ahwanee and i-tent on sale

I also have an ahwahnee for sale; price is far better than the sale price.

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply