rock climbing in Oaxaca

8:44 p.m. on May 10, 2004 (EDT)

Hi,
I am going to Oaxaca in June, 2004 and will be there until the first week of August. Does anyone know much about the climbing around Oaxaca? As well, if anyone is heading down there at that time I would love to climb with them. I am primarily a sport climber and climb in the 11's.
Thanks,
Julianne

1:03 p.m. on May 12, 2004 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

When I was in Mexico last December climbing with a friend who lives in Toluca, we talked a bit about various climbing areas. Oaxaca does have a fair amount of rock, including sport climbs. I believe Andres said there is a website run by a guy who lives in Oaxaca (the city, which is the state capitol) that details a lot of the areas and routes. I don't remember the URL, although he showed it to me (among many other similar ones for other areas in Mexico). It is in Spanish, so you will need to be able to read Spanish. Unfortunately, Andres is on a climbing trip in Nepal and won't be back until July, so I can't ask him. Several of the areas had really good rock and climbs up to the 13 range. We did some things on the sides of some of the volcanoes closer to Toluca, Mexico City, and Puebla, and there are lots of routes on solid rock in the 10++ range as well (no, I didn't do them - it's hard enough for these ancient bones to make it up easy 5th at sea level, much less at over 10,000 ft). One thing to watch, though - bolts are not up to the standards you find in the US and Europe in many places.

9:40 a.m. on December 13, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

Hey i'm going out to Oaxaca for Chirstmas do you by any chance have those url's mentioned above? My spanish isn't very good, but I can sometimes get the gist, but the more direction you can give, the more indebt to you I'll be.

September 21, 2014
Quick Reply