Mountaineering snowshoes

3:30 p.m. on May 21, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

When I was planning to climb Denali, I was looking for a recommendation on a mountaineering snowshoe. I couldn't find one, but I did find a great shoe. So I thought I'd post a note for someone else looking.

After many demo's, I chose the Crescent Moon Gold Series 10. I routinely carried about a 70-pound pack but found that this shoe gave plent of floatation allowed for a perfectly natural stride. That was huge. Even better is the binding that you can get in and out of with while wearing mittens! Also huge. Most importantly, my foot stayed in place, even when on ice, at sharp angles and when hiking for hours on end. Frequent stops were necessary by other to adjust their Tubbs and MSR Denali shoes, but mine stayed tight.

The traction is tremendous. There's an extra claw in there that keeps you from sliding around and make you think you're wearing a crampon.

Anyway, I'm sure everyone has their favorite, but Crescent Moon shoe worked great for me.

November 22, 2014
Quick Reply