(Guest)

Please told me how to make topos on rock walls picture
sanju

11:39 a.m. on October 8, 2004 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,299 forum posts
topos on photos?

I'm not really sure what you are asking. Usually when using a photo (is this what you mean by "rock walls picture"?), you just draw the line of the route, perhaps indicating the location of belay stances, anchors, bolts, fixed pins, and rappel/descent line. The topo is a separate diagram. Often, the topo is not to scale. It is intended to indicate the various features along the route in a symbolic diagram in a much clearer manner than is usually possible with a photo. Also, photos are always taken from where you can stand, which means the view is foreshortened with parts of the route sometimes hidden. A topo as a separate diagram can show the critical features clearly by the symbolic nature. Same idea as using a drawn map (for example, USGS topographic maps, which are completely symbolic) vs. an aerial photograph - trails which are hidden under trees in the photo are clearly represented in the drawn map. Another problem is that the topo symbols would obscure those features that might stand out in the photo.

I can understand why you might want to draw the topo on the photo, but having the two separate and side by side conveys a more complete description. Just my opinion from experience.

Brian should weigh in on this one.

8:17 p.m. on October 25, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

Bill S, Q on orienteers teaching land nav...

Hi Bill,
I've been playing with orienteering (I'm a slooow red) and backcountry navigation for many year. You talked about having problems with an adv orienteer teaching land nav (http://www.trailspace.com/climbing/messages/32007.html)
Could you explain a bit more on this issue?
Thanks
LesM ;-)

11:25 a.m. on October 26, 2004 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,299 forum posts
Re: Bill S, Q on orienteers teaching land nav...

Les -

I've been out of touch for a while and have a whole series of events coming up. But I looked back at the whole thread you refer to. This time I printed it out, since your long reading list has some interesting stuff.

Anyway, the problem with the advanced orienteer teaching land nav is with the particular person, not with advanced orienteers teaching in general. The backpacking course that the land nav is part of actually has a team of two covering the land nav, both of whom are advanced orienteers. In the past couple of years, the course director, the second orienteer, and I have been trying some tactful strategies to teach the problem person better presentation techniques and to, shall we say, "reduce" his part of the program. Some people have teaching and presentation skills and talent, and some do not. You can train a teacher or presenter in techniques and skills up to a point, but if they lack talent, or more relevant in this case, lack motivation to develop the skills and have a combative attitude, well, there is a limit. Hopefully, the person I refer to won't read this forum, but a couple of flaws - as I said in the previous posts, he has a lot of excellent orienteering skills, and he is passably athletic (about 10-12 years younger than me, he can outrun me in most terrain, especially uphill). But he still has a very thick German-Swiss accent that he sees no need to reduce. His body language during presentations is extremely distracting (not just my observation, but also on the student course evaluations). His presentations are very disorganized, with lots of digressions, some on totally irrelevant topics, but most "oh, I forgot to say ..." some important basic information. He has a rather hot temper, and if questioned about an apparent mistake or getting into a situation requiring a compromise or change of plan will literally turn purple, start breathing hard, and almost become apoplectic - sometimes during a presentation.

Anyway, not to burden the forum with a personality any further, I think you see the general problem is an individual, not advanced orienteers generally. After all, his co-presenter, also an advanced orienteer, is a laid-back guy who gets his points across beautifully.

October 2, 2014
Quick Reply