Anorak vs Jkt

1:37 p.m. on November 14, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Looking to buy one of two shells - both MEC, Gore-tex and good for general mountaineering, ice climbing, backpacking, etc. They've got the option of an anorak or jacket style. I've never had an anorak WP/B shell, and don't see many on the market. Any one have any opinions if they're better or worse than jackets, and for what activities each are best suited? Thanks.

3:26 p.m. on November 14, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. alex

For my money I'd go with the jacket. Maily because of the convience of not having to drag it over my head (helmet, rack and whatever else). Just seems to be more useful.

alex

Quote:

Looking to buy one of two shells - both MEC, Gore-tex and good for general mountaineering, ice climbing, backpacking, etc. They've got the option of an anorak or jacket style. I've never had an anorak WP/B shell, and don't see many on the market. Any one have any opinions if they're better or worse than jackets, and for what activities each are best suited? Thanks.

9:21 a.m. on November 15, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Don M, Don Morris, Don P. Morris

Any one have any opinions if they're better or worse than jackets, and for what activities each are best suited? Thanks.

I would go with the full zip jacket every time - better ventilation, hence more adjustable over a wide range of conditions.

5:08 p.m. on November 19, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

5:12 p.m. on November 19, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Jacket is easier to put on, especially if you are wearing a climbing helmet. Also has better ventilation. Anorak is proberbly lighter, and would still provide some protection if the zipper blows out, unlike a jacket. I'd still get jacket though.

Quote:

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply