windstopper fleece

2:45 p.m. on December 14, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

I'm thinking about snagging one. I've seen mixed reviews and am having a tough time narrowing it down. Whatever I decide on is going to have to last a long time, so I'd love some user input. Can anybody who has used one give me some pros and cons and info on which brands they feel are better designed? If you don't like the windstopper, an alternative reccommendation for a good (non-bulky) mid layer or standalone mild/moderate weather jacket would be appreciated.

Thanks!

10:21 a.m. on December 15, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

I sold mine recently on ebay. It was several years old and made of Gore Windstopper by Cabelas. It made a great stand alone jacket for around town. I liked the fact that it was essentially windproof and it did keep out light rain. However, for backcountry use, it was heavier, bulkier and stiffer than other options. What I want now is a thin synthetic jacket for a mid layer. The nylon will be essentially windproof and this will be lighter and pack down smaller than the old jacket I had. I don't have a brand in mind, but I know many companies make these. Some are available in down but I sweat too much when I backpack and don't want to get the down wet from perspiration at rest stops.

11:36 a.m. on December 15, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

I got one from TNF on sale and it doesn

8:18 p.m. on December 15, 2004 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
952 forum posts

I've been eyeing a new mid-layer/softshell lately. Three jackets that have piqued my interest are the Mountain Hardwear Alchemy Jacket (Gore Windstopper), the Arc'Teryx Gamma MX (Polartec PolarShield/Shoeller Dynamic) and the Patagonia Core Skin Jacket (PolarShield/PolarDry). Marmot makes a couple nice-looking jackets too (Sharp Point, Sphere). The newer fabrics (PolarShield & Schoeller Dynamic) are a bit lighter and more flexible (and more pricey) than the Windstopper. They also claim to be more breathable. I haven't worn any of these yet, but they have similar features and all three get good reviews. They're all cut pretty trim, so fit may be a deciding factor.

11:15 a.m. on December 21, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

Hey guys, thanks!

3:12 a.m. on December 28, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

Forget about windproof clothes. The do not breathe and you will sweat like hell when doing anything. Take a look at www.klattermusen.se and see what they have. There clothes are classified in different types of "windproofness". The result: you sweat less and you feel a lot happier. Also, when it's cold, your base layer will be dry and will not freeze.

December 28, 2014
Quick Reply