Resting on Ice Tools

10:46 a.m. on November 14, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

I am looking to experiment with different methods of quickly attaching yourself to tools for rest, placing screws, changing broken pick, whatever. What are some methods you guys use. Fifi hooks anyone?

3:40 p.m. on November 14, 2001 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
Fifi on adjustable daisy...

Quote:

I am looking to experiment with different methods of quickly attaching yourself to tools for rest, placing screws, changing broken pick, whatever. What are some methods you guys use. Fifi hooks anyone?

Ugh...I hate hangin' off my tools...but...better than fallin'. Usually, I'll just clip a biner into the bottom of the tool shaft and yell, "take". Or...clip a quick draw into my belay loop off a screw or my tool. Eeek.

A friend uses an adjustable daisy chain (Yates) girth hitched to his harness to a fifi hook. Just puts the fifi on and zzzzzip...insta hang. I dislike a fifi 'cause it seems to hang up on any and everything...

I usually just back off rather than hang...I hate to siege an ice climb into submission...

Brian in SLC

6:30 p.m. on November 16, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: Fifi on adjustable daisy...

Quote:

Quote:

Ugh...I hate hangin' off my tools...but...better than fallin'. Usually, I'll just clip a biner into the bottom of the tool shaft and yell, "take". Or...clip a quick draw into my belay loop off a screw or my tool. Eeek.

A friend uses an adjustable daisy chain (Yates) girth hitched to his harness to a fifi hook. Just puts the fifi on and zzzzzip...insta hang. I dislike a fifi 'cause it seems to hang up on any and everything...

I usually just back off rather than hang...I hate to siege an ice climb into submission...

Brian in SLC

Just as an FYI, using an adjustable daisy in the winter is potentially very dangerous. I know every time I go ice climbing all my stuff gets coated in snow and ice. Not good for friction dependent tools like adjustable daisy's.

Cheers,
Christian :?)

9:35 p.m. on November 18, 2001 (EST)
Fifi on adjustable daisy...

A quick note on the Yates adjustable daisy:
I use one for aid and its awesome; lightning fast and no
damn fifi to snag on your pro! However, the Yates cam/friction buckle is a webbing shreder from hell. There's
a very good posibility of the cam teeth not holding due to
ice/dirt/mud/? (kinda like an jumar). And if it starts to give out, you can shock-load your ice tool and log some serious air time.
As an alternative, I would recommend the new Metolius Adjustable Daisy. It works smoother, faster, and operates on a clean&simple cam buckle so it won't make your webbing shed faster than a Newfoundland.

Best regards and climb safe,
Dmitriy

1:58 p.m. on November 19, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: Fifi on adjustable daisy...

Quote:

A quick note on the Yates adjustable daisy:
I use one for aid and its awesome; lightning fast and no
damn fifi to snag on your pro! However, the Yates cam/friction buckle is a webbing shreder from hell. There's
a very good posibility of the cam teeth not holding due to
ice/dirt/mud/? (kinda like an jumar). And if it starts to give out, you can shock-load your ice tool and log some serious air time.
As an alternative, I would recommend the new Metolius Adjustable Daisy. It works smoother, faster, and operates on a clean&simple cam buckle so it won't make your webbing shed faster than a Newfoundland.

Best regards and climb safe,
Dmitriy

I just checked this thing out and thought that it was an incredibly trick design, until I weighted it and watched in horror as it slips till no end.
Good idea, but horrible in practice.
Try it yourself at your local gear shop. Clip it to somthing fixed and start adding weight. Sliiiide. It would want to hold under a quick shock type weight like a Gri gri, but if you yard closer in then lean back, you do not stay where you started.
Cheers,
Christian :?)

8:40 p.m. on December 6, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

I use a FiFi on a daisy chain attached to my main HMS 'biner (that I tie all sorts of stuff to at hanging belays). You don't really have to do that much length adjusting, in my experience. Ignore those who say this is scary (tho it is). What's the difference between hanging on a tool with a daisy chain and hanging on it with your hand? For me, the daisy is a little less wobbly. ;-)

But how can you hand on a tool and change the pick at the same time? That's one trick I've never seen.

Quote:

7:50 p.m. on December 9, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

7:53 p.m. on December 9, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

mark twight says black diamond spectre works well

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply