About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

TNF participation in LaSportiva

9:43 a.m. on February 1, 2005 (EST)
(Guest)

LaSportiva explains:

http://www.lasportiva.com/Inglese/chisiamo.htm

some interesting chronicles starting from 1998

6:42 p.m. on February 6, 2005 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,234 reviewer rep
5,182 forum posts

Thanks, Carlo. I had heard most of this from people I know at the US branch of La Sportiva, but had not seen the Italian web site. A number of the folks at the old La Sportiva USA stayed through the brief association with TNF and are still with La Sportiva North America - good folks, good shoes. I have had some of their boots and rock shoes over the years and sometimes used their specialized ice climbing shoes, and really like them.

One addition to your post, though. The article briefly reviews the whole company history from the beginning in the early 20th century, as well as the recent episode involving TNF. One thing not mentioned in the article is that the period when TNF was acquiring La Sportiva and had their own change of management was during the period that VF Corp was folding TNF into their larger corporate umbrella. That was a very difficult period for TNF that now appears to have been resolved. Other outdoor brands under VF include JanSport (packs and other gear), Eastpak (bags), Napapijri (bags and accessories), Kipling (bags), and Vans (ProTec helmets, shoes and boots, including snowboard boots with thermofit liners). Plus their lines of "jeanswear" (Wrangler, Lee), "intimates", "imagewear" and "sportswear"

10:42 a.m. on February 7, 2005 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,234 reviewer rep
5,182 forum posts
LaSportiva Beer

At the Outdoor Retailer Show (both summer and winter versions), one of the customs is to pass out large quantities of "malt beverages". Some do it in plastic cups, some in heavy beer glasses, and some, like La Sportiva, in bottles. Most of the "bottle" dispensers pass out local labels, but La Sportiva (only one, I think) passes out bottles of the brew with a "La Sportiva" label. Reasonably good, too.

Oh, you didn't read this. Salt Lake City, being in Utah (i.e., Mormon country), considers things like alcohol and caffeine (coffee, tea, chocolate, Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, etc.) to be sinful and thus forbidden (no actual laws forbidding such things). And the Salt Palace, site of the ORShow, is on Temple, within a block of the main Mormon Temple. So we wouldn't want to imply that such things are available in the Promised Land (that's what Brigham Young called it when he arrived in what is now SLC).

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply