Mt Kosciuszko

11:50 p.m. on June 26, 2005 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

I am stuck in Singapore until mid August on a business trip and was thinking about taking the short trip to Australia for a break from the city heat. Anyone know if Mt Kosciuszko can be climbed in the Australian winter. Just looking for a quick outdoor adventure for a few days. Also, any needed guides and tips would be appreciated. I did not bring my mountaineering gear with me so would have to rent/borrow a few items.

Thanks
Chris.

7:37 a.m. on June 27, 2005 (EDT)
28 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

Hi Christian,

Kossie certainly can be 'climbed' in winter but from most directions it's nothing more than a bit of a rolling ski/snowshoe trip and you don't need any actual mountaineering gear. There's several access points but the most common is to catch a ski lift from thredbo to the top of the Ramshead range. From there it's an easy day trip if the weather is good. Alternate start points are from Charlotte's pass (longer day trip) or Guthega (loonger day trip). If you're really keen you could start on the north side, at the Geehi River and bushbash up Lady Northcotes ck to lake Albina and then to Kossie. I haven't done this route but it's either a very long day (probably like 20+ hours) or split it into two or more days return. The transport there is also longer/more difficult.

Instead of Kossie, a slightly more challenging climb is from the north via Watson's crags to Mt Twynum, which is a bit more more like a peak than the pimple that is Kosziuszko. Again very long access from the Geehi and an ice axe and crampons would be good as it's steep enough for self arrest and there can be ice.

If you're coming in from Sydney then there's a few places to hire xc-ski gear or showshoes: Rhythm sports at Cooma, or Wilderness sports or Paddy Pallin at Jindabyne. Technical gear used to be able to be hired from WS and PP but that might not be the case now.

Oh yeah, if the weather is good then it's a doddle (as long as you've got skis or snowsoes) but if it's bad then it can be just plain dangerous. Because it's Australia it's common to get conditions just above freezing level where you get soaked through and hypothermic real quick. And it can go from bright and sunny to 100+kph winds, sleet and 20m visibility in no time flat...so go prepared!

Have fun,

Andrew

12:15 p.m. on June 27, 2005 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,294 forum posts
Possible place to rent gear

I ran into a fellow who runs a shop in the Snowies that rents gear. His name is Bruce Easton. The shop is Wilderness Sports. He has two locations, the main one being in Jindabyne, and according to his website (wildernesssports.com.au) it is right across the street from the Snow Mountains information center. He says he has a wide variety of snowshoe and BC ski gear to rent. Apparently this gear is no longer available for rent ("hire" being the Oz word) in Thredbo.

From his card, you can probably get more info via email info@wildernesssports.com.au or phone (02) 6456 2966 for the Jindabyne location (the main one) or (02) 6457 5966 for the ski school location in Perisher Valley.

I haven't dealt with him myself, just a long chat at the OR Show in January. I did get a favorable impression from that discussion.

9:59 p.m. on June 27, 2005 (EDT)
(Guest)

Wilderness sports

yeah Bruce is a well known "character" in Australian backcountry snowsports. He knows his stuff and Wilderness sports always has good (for Oz) stock and knowledgable staff. WS in Jindabyne is an obligatory gear fondling stop-off on the way to the snow.

September 15, 2014
Quick Reply