Winter Camping in Scotland

10:00 a.m. on July 16, 2005 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

So I am moving to Scotland this fall and want to get involved in the rock climbing and winter "hillwalking" while I am there. Does anyone know a good website listing gear and usual conditions for Munroes or that can recommend a list of places and mountains to check out?
Also- are plastic double boots required, or can I get by in my Asolo 520 with a crampon (if so, does anyone have a crampon recommendation?)?
I have extensive experience backpacking and climbing but haven't done any winter/glacial mountaineering and would like to start. My main concern is to figure out what gear I will actually need to move over there (less being better).

11:12 a.m. on September 10, 2005 (EDT)
(Guest)

I find this website very useful for information, pictures and weather in Scotland. You would probably benefit from using a guide like the guy who runs the site, he would be able to give you the best advice.
http://www.westcoast-mountainguides.co.uk/index.htm

12:40 p.m. on October 23, 2005 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. tightjock

try the website ukc, sorry dont have the link

July 26, 2014
Quick Reply