About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Tendon Popping

3:21 a.m. on February 2, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

Today at the climbing gym I was pulling on a hold and I felt a "pop" from a tendon down near my elbow and my pinky and ring finger felt instantly numb for a few seconds. I shook it out and since nothing felt injured, continued to climb.
Later tonight I still don't have any sharp pain, but there's a dull ache in my forearm whenever I pull on something with my left hand.
Has this happened to anyone, or does anyone happen to be a Doctor? Should I lay off for a couple days, even though it doesn't really hurt? And what's the possible cause for this?
Thanks.

12:38 p.m. on February 2, 2006 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,264 reviewer rep
5,188 forum posts

Yur gettin tendonitis in yur old age, fella!

I'm no doctor, but I have been told by some that tendon and ligament shifting can temporarily pinch nerves. It may go away with time. You might have overworked the muscles, in which case a few rounds of naproxin will help reduce the inflamation. So will other NSAIDS, but naproxin (Alleve trade name) seems to be better for inflamation of pulled muscles and tendons. It isn't a cure, just relieves the symptoms.

1:06 p.m. on February 2, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

Great, I need to buy stock in the company that manufactures Naproxin. I already have to take it for a week every 2-3 months for my shoulders, both of which have tendonitis from years sports, climbing and carrying heavy, horribly designed, military packs.

1:14 p.m. on February 3, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

In case this happens to anyone and they stumble upon this thread, I learned that what caused the popping and subsequent numbness was my tendon tightening and then "slipping" off the bone, similar to snapping a rubber band, thus the "pop" and numbness. Not an injury per se, but yet another reason to warm-up thoroughly.

7:01 p.m. on April 25, 2006 (EDT)
(Guest)

Hi,

This happened to me yesterday (in my hand) and it's continued to feel off (slightly numb and tight, but not pain) today. Did your elbow ever get better? Any suggestions for dealing with this? I think I might take several weeks off, since the same thing happened a few weeks ago, and I don't want it coming back this time.

Thanks,

April 23, 2014
Quick Reply