Gear Help

2:12 p.m. on April 8, 2006 (EDT)
(Guest)

Hello everyone!
I have a question which I think a bit odd.
I am puzzeld about two computers (watches)
I am buzzled between the Sunnto X-Land and the Casio PAG80 7V
Any recomendations?

Thank you

4:05 p.m. on April 8, 2006 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,314 forum posts

The Suunto X-Lander is the same watch as the Vector, but with a metal case instead of plastic. I suspect you would find the Suunto X6 more suitable, though. Most people seem to find the Suuntos more suitable than the Casios in terms of usability and "features" for the cost. But it depends on what you are looking for. I had a Vector for many years before getting the X6. The X6 altimeter is 1 m (3 ft) steps vs the Vector/ X-Lander 5 m steps. The barometer is correspondingly smaller steps as well. The X6's compass is a bit easier to use, although it is subject to the same peculiarities as any wrist-mounted flux-gate compass. The X6 also has a slope meter, which is somewhat useful.

I haven't had one of the Casio computer watches in a number of years, but have been in the field with people who had them and looked closely at them. I would choose the Suuntos before the Casios for function and cost.

Then again, most of the "wrist computer" watches are sold as "style" pieces. So you pay extra for metal cases (and a huge amount extra for the titanium case versions with the same innards and no functional difference). You have to decide whether function is more important or style.

Go to the SuuntoUSA website for comparison charts (suuntousa.com). Or, .... you *could* go for one of the watches with GPS receiver included (Suunto's 9 series - X9 for general outdoors, G9 for golf, M9 for sailing).

4:05 p.m. on April 21, 2006 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

I use the X lander and think it is excellent. In fact i wear that more than my normal watch.
It is easy to use and is excellent in conjunction witha gps
the down side is that it does need calibration. But this is easy as soon as you get to a trig point you can adjust your altimeter if it is out.
The reason for this is the fact that the altitude is based on the barometric pressure.
Hope this helps

4:08 p.m. on April 21, 2006 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Sorry dude i have tested the X9 and although the concept is brillent the battery life with the GPS is not max 4hrs. then you need to recharge, Plus you walk in to a small wood or anything over cast the GPS fails to pick the satalite due to the size of the reciver

October 24, 2014
Quick Reply