Swimming quarrys or tunnels

2:16 p.m. on June 25, 2006 (EDT)
(Guest)

I live in southern berkshire county and know of two abandon quarrys, one for swimming and one with a cool tunnel, does anybody know of any others for exploring.

12:52 a.m. on June 26, 2006 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

There are literally thousands of abandoned quarries around. And many of them have more than their share of fatalities and serious injuries. Be extremely cautious when exploring them. It is very hard to tell what is just under the surface of the water, especially when the left-over debris from quarry operations starts shifting. When I was living in the Boston area, the Quincy Quarries were a favorite climbing and swimming area. But there were several fatalities a year until they were filled in and converted to a park. If you recall the film Breaking Away, there is a scene in there filmed in an abandoned quarry

11:18 a.m. on June 27, 2006 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts

There's a popular quarry behind St. Michaels in Burlington Vermont near a bouldering area called "the cut". Deep (you can see a full sized crane submerged in the clear water). They've fenced the place off the last time I was there, but, of course, someone had made a small hole in the fence to squeeze through. Kids cliff dive into the water. There's also a couple of neat climbing routes there, as well.

-Brian in SLC

September 17, 2014
Quick Reply